Exploring Physics Experiments in Cold Weather Conditions

In summary, there are various experiments and designs that can be done in cold weather, such as using temperature gradients as a source of power. The temperature difference of -40 degrees Fahrenheit outside and 68 degrees Fahrenheit inside could be large enough to generate power using thermocouples or thermopiles. This may also be an ideal application for a Sterling Engine. However, it is important to note that these experiments still require energy input, and the Seebeck effect, thermoelectric effect, or Peltier effect can be used to generate a voltage in such experiments."
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I'm a physics major in Alaska, where it's not uncommon to have temperatures of -40.

Are there any interesting experiments or designs that I can do in my freetime that are convenient because of the cold weather?

I remember learning briefly about gradients being a source of power. If someone could give me a good keyword for that, I could better Google it (or look it up in my physics textbooks). Is the temp difference of -40 (outside) to 68 (inside my house) a large enough difference to even consider generating power (even if for fun).

Physics news on Phys.org
Please verify for us that mercury freezes at -38 F and measure the speed of sound! :)

Tide said:
Please verify for us that mercury freezes at -38 F and measure the speed of sound! :)

... or that warm water freezes faster than cold water. :)

Zz.

Breaking things has typically the best success ratio in cold climate.

Pythagorean said:
I'm a physics major in Alaska, where it's not uncommon to have temperatures of -40.
Are there any interesting experiments or designs that I can do in my freetime that are convenient because of the cold weather?
I remember learning briefly about gradients being a source of power. If someone could give me a good keyword for that, I could better Google it (or look it up in my physics textbooks). Is the temp difference of -40 (outside) to 68 (inside my house) a large enough difference to even consider generating power (even if for fun).

I didn't realize you were talking about Fahrenheit until I read you had 68 degrees indoors( Yes I have experienced outdoor temperatures close to -40 C )

Temperature gradients can most certainly be used as a "source of power" Thermocouples, and its cousin thermopiles, are an example of this.

-40c = -40f

pallidin said:
Temperature gradients can most certainly be used as a "source of power" Thermocouples, and its cousin thermopiles, are an example of this.

thank you, knowing the name always make googling easier :P

krab said:
-40c = -40f

:confused:

whozum said:
:confused:

Yup, just do the conversion:

1. Shift zero point to that of the Celsius scale

-40oF - 32oF = -72oF

2. Convert to Celsius degrees

-72oF * 5oC/9oF = (-72/9)*5 oC = -40oC

Pythagorean said:
...Is the temp difference of -40 (outside) to 68 (inside my house) a large enough difference to even consider generating power (even if for fun).

Might be an ideal application for a Sterling Engine.

Pythagorean said:
Is the temp difference of -40 (outside) to 68 (inside my house) a large enough difference to even consider generating power (even if for fun).
Sure, but I hope you don't imagine that this gives energy for free. A large temperature difference makes an engine more efficient, but you still have to supply the energy. In this case, your furnace will be providing the energy, as the operation of the engine will take heat out of your house.

krab said:
Sure, but I hope you don't imagine that this gives energy for free. A large temperature difference makes an engine more efficient, but you still have to supply the energy. In this case, your furnace will be providing the energy, as the operation of the engine will take heat out of your house.

Absolutely not! I'm willing to put energy into the experiment. I've been salvaging electronics from the dump, and usually, the components are good (I ignore the integrated circuits, aka circuitboards.)

I just have no idea how you would be able to even get a potential difference. What sucks is I did a lab where we did this with two wires (one silver and one copper), and a pot of boiling water as the hot end. The wires were somehow wired through a part of the pot with boiling so that the wires will conduct heat, and the ratio between their heat conductivity will generate a voltage.

I'm really shaky on this; I've looked it up, but I haven't nailed the right keyword yet. I can't even find it in my physics book, usind the index, thumbing through pages. As a matter of fact, I save my lab reports, and I can't find the particular lab I'm thinking of. It's almost as if I've dreamed it up! But I remember measuring a voltage across two different materials (both heat and electricity conductors) and there was a pot of boiling water involved!

The keyword are Seebeck-effect, or thermoelectric effect, or Peltier effect (when you run it the other way around).

(It does not depend on the thermal conductivity.)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some examples of physics experiments that can be done in cold weather conditions?

Some examples of physics experiments that can be done in cold weather conditions include studying the effects of temperature on the behavior of gases, measuring the thermal conductivity of different materials, investigating the properties of superconductors at low temperatures, and observing the formation and melting of ice crystals.

2. How does temperature affect the behavior of objects in physics experiments?

Temperature plays a crucial role in many physics experiments because it affects the physical properties of materials, such as their density, thermal conductivity, and phase changes. It can also impact the behavior of gases, making them expand or contract, and the motion of particles in a system.

3. What precautions should be taken when conducting physics experiments in cold weather?

When conducting physics experiments in cold weather, it is important to dress appropriately to stay warm and avoid exposure to extreme temperatures. It is also essential to use appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, to protect against potential hazards. Additionally, it is crucial to properly insulate equipment and use temperature-resistant materials to prevent damage.

4. How do scientists control for external factors when conducting experiments in cold weather conditions?

Scientists control for external factors in cold weather experiments by using carefully designed equipment and procedures that minimize the impact of external conditions, such as wind or humidity. They also make sure to record and monitor any changes in environmental conditions during the experiment and adjust their data accordingly.

5. What are some of the benefits of conducting physics experiments in cold weather conditions?

There are several benefits to conducting physics experiments in cold weather conditions. For example, the low temperatures can provide a more stable and controlled environment for certain experiments, and some materials may exhibit unique properties at low temperatures. Additionally, studying the effects of temperature can help scientists better understand and predict the behavior of materials in various real-world scenarios.