Electronic Music Fans - What's Your Bag?

In summary: .Look up some Aphex Twin stuff, he does very nice ambient stuff, and rough than rough techno/ Jungle music.
Anttech
Any Electronic Music Fans here? If so what's your Bag?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not fanatical about any particular music, but I like Kraftwerk and van Gelis (sp?). Oh yeah, and some Randy Newman.

Kraftwerk is great...

What I find interesting is that the best electronic music ideals were born and raised in Detroit, yet I bet you most people here wouldn't have heard of many of the composers of the initial Detroit Electronic Soul..

For Example:
Derick May, Model 500, Underground resistance...

These people gave birth to the sound of "techno" Music which Europeans mostly killed, but some progressed it..

Last edited:
Anttech, do you do any composing on the PC yourself?

No I don't compose but I do DJ, (and a self admited audiophile) I used to and still do sometimes DJ on Internet Radio stations...

I have close friends who are published artist

I have tried creating some tracks using rebirth 303 Cubase and fruitly loops... But the sound I produced was never what I liked

Zooby, you are a bit of an Artist, do you compose?

Anttech said:
Zooby, you are a bit of an Artist, do you compose?
I had just started playing around composing some more or less comedic songs before I discovered PF a couple years ago. That was on an electronic keyboard. I was working on The Zoobie Canatata, but it fell by the wayside when I first got obsessed with this place.

I have a proper computer now, and could do midi, I believe, with the keyboard. I was playing around with the Audacity music editing software the other night, and was pretty impressed by what you can do.

I was going to ask what software you liked for this.

Cubase is amazing.. steap learning curve but a very good music app

Anttech said:
Cubase is amazing.. steap learning curve but a very good music app
Steep learning curve, eh? Maybe I'll wait till I get good at the Audacity before I check out the Cubase. The other night was the first time I ever played with any music editing. I was really intrigued and enjoyed it, and I'm a little leary of getting sucked into it just now when I've pretty much decided to get a better handle on the digital camera and photo editing.

heh... once you get the bug there will be no turning back

Danger said:
I'm not fanatical about any particular music, but I like Kraftwerk and van Gelis (sp?). Oh yeah, and some Randy Newman.
Vangelis. I loved his soundtrack for Bladerunner but haven't listened to much else by him.

Mostly I don't care for electronic music. I prefer music that is "rough around the edges" and most electronic music doesn't really have that. I've found that I enjoy some industrial music though. It still lacks the human imperfection but it's grittier and I find it to be an acceptable substitute.

Vangelis. I loved his soundtrack for Bladerunner but haven't listened to much else by him.

Mostly I don't care for electronic music. I prefer music that is "rough around the edges" and most electronic music doesn't really have that. I've found that I enjoy some industrial music though. It still lacks the human imperfection but it's grittier and I find it to be an acceptable substitute.

Electronic music can be VERY rough arround the edges.. If you want to know some stuff then let me know.. Industrial is very hard techno, kind of inbetween techno and Hard metal I suppose. But there is much better stuff than that out there ;-)

Look up some Aphex Twin stuff, he does very nice ambient stuff, and rough than rough techno/ Jungle music.

Ah yes, the electronica. Brings up fond memories when I used to produce, and the sleepless nights. Needless to say most of my stuff sucked and I don't like it. Right now I am listening to http://carboninside.com/angel.swf"

This guy (Horace Andy : http://xa9.xanga.com/5d885566d513116368020/b11778546.jpg [Broken] ) is freaking awesome

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting into recording with the computer. I have a couple of cheap programs: Cakewalk and another one I can't think of right now. I play my guitar into a modeling pedal, into my soundcard. The quality is fair, not great, but okay for demos and playing with arrangements.

Massive attack are great... I'm currently listening to Laurent Gariner -- Acid Effiel

Horrace ehh? You like reggae, nice.. Massive Attack are heavily influenced by Dub.. I recently came into possesion of some amazing minimal dub by a german outfit called "rhythm and sound". If you like Dub you love them, amazing organisation and very minimal at the same time

1. What is electronic music?

Electronic music is a genre of music that is produced using electronic instruments and technology, such as synthesizers, drum machines, and computers. It typically does not involve traditional instruments like guitars or drums.

2. What makes electronic music different from other genres?

Electronic music is distinct from other genres due to its use of electronic instruments and technology to create sounds and rhythms. It often incorporates repetitive beats and unique sound effects that are not found in traditional genres.

3. What are some sub-genres of electronic music?

There are numerous sub-genres of electronic music, including techno, house, trance, dubstep, drum and bass, and many more. Each sub-genre has its own distinct sound and characteristics.

4. What are some popular electronic music artists?

Some popular electronic music artists include Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Skrillex, Deadmau5, and Aphex Twin. However, there are countless other talented artists within the genre as well.

5. How has electronic music evolved over time?

Electronic music has evolved significantly since its inception in the 1950s. It has gone through various phases and sub-genres, incorporating different styles and technologies along the way. Today, electronic music continues to evolve and blend with other genres, pushing the boundaries of what is possible with technology and sound.