Trying to define n/m when it exists in N.suppose m and n are

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
In summary: There's a problem with infinite cardinals: if p is a prime number dividing x + 2, then every element of \mathbb{N}^{\mathbb{N}} is also a prime number. So, by my definition, P(N)/N would be infinite.
phoenixthoth
trying to define n/m when it exists in N.

suppose m and n are natural numbers and let [n,m] denote all functions from n (which is {0=Ø, 1, ..., n-1}) onto m. if [n,m] is empty, stop and say that m does not divide n.

consider the subset of functions f in [n,m] such that ~ defines an equivalence relation on n where x~y iff f(x)=f(y) and that each equivalence class has the same size q. call this set [[n,m]]. I'm guessing that if [[n,m]] is nonempty then it will be the same q for all functions in [n,m] such that ~ defines an equivalence relation partitioning n into equal sized parts (m parts each having q elements).

i suppose this is equivalent to saying
[[n,m]]={f in [n,m] : for all z in m, card(f-1({z})) is constant}.

definition: if [[n,m]] is nonempty then let n/m=q. if [[n,m]] is empty say that m does not divide n.

question: n/m=q in this sense if and only if n/m=q in the usual sense? (i'll also have to decide if q is well defined.)

this is a definition of division not obviously equivalent to "the inverse of multiplication." one can now define multiplication to be the inverse of division!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All right, let me see if I understand you.

In order to lessen potential sources of confusion, I'm going to use the notation [itex]\mathbb{N}_n = \{0, 1, \ldots, n-1\}[/itex].

Given two natural numbers [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex], consider the set [itex](\mathbb{N}_m)^n \; (\,= (\mathbb{N}_m)^{\mathbb{N}_n}\,)[/itex], the set of all functions from [itex]\mathbb{N}_n[/tex] to [itex]\mathbb{N}_m[/itex].

We can then define [itex]n/m := q[/itex] where [itex]q[/itex] is a number having the property that there exists a function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]\forall z \in \mathbb{N}_m : |f^{-1}(z)| = q[/itex].

This is well-defined; [itex]q[/itex] exists iff [itex]n/m[/itex] exists, and [itex]q[/itex] is unique when it exists, but I fear that you might need to know multiplication to prove the uniqueness of [itex]q[/itex].

Edit: fixed logical mistake.

Last edited:
yeah, that's what i meant though my [itex](\mathbb{N}_m)^n[/itex] is the set of such functions that are onto.

I fear that you might need to know multiplication to prove the uniqueness of q.

that would suck.

i'm really aiming and doing a similar thing for infinite cardinals...

Last edited:
There's a problem for infinite cardinals:

Consider the following elements of [itex]\mathbb{N}^\mathbb{N}[/itex]: [itex]f(x) = x[/itex], [itex]g(x) = \lfloor \frac{x}{2} \rfloor[/itex], and [itex]h(x) = n - 1[/itex] where [itex]p_n[/itex] is the smallest prime dividing [itex]x + 2[/itex].

[itex]f(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes [itex]0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | \ldots[/itex], indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=1[/itex].

[itex]g(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes [itex]0, 1 | 2, 3 | 4, 5 | 6, 7 | \ldots[/itex], indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=2[/itex].

[itex]h(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes:

[tex]
0, 2, 4, \ldots | 1, 7, 13, \ldots | 3, 23, 33, \ldots | \ldots
[/itex]

indicating that indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=\mathbb{N}[/itex].

Notice, though, that

[tex]\mathbb{N} = \mathbb{N} * 1 = \mathbb{N} * 2 = \mathbb{N} * \mathbb{N}[/tex].

Last edited:
this concept of "division" seemed to capture the statement [tex]\mathbb{N} = \mathbb{N} * 1 = \mathbb{N} * 2 = \mathbb{N} * \mathbb{N}[/tex]
. i suppose no definition of division would be well defined for infinite cardinals.

though my ... functions ... are onto.

This is a superfluous condition if you do it right; I didn't do it right when I first wrote the post. :smile: If a function isn't onto, then the inverse image of some element will be the empty set (which is not [itex]q[/itex]), so we don't have to restrict ourselves to onto functions.

yeah i was wondering if you omitted that because you realized it was superfluous.

hmm... i wonder about 0/0

it would seem to be the case that by my definition, 0/0=0.

i also wonder about P(N)/N.

1. What does "n/m" mean in mathematics?

In mathematics, "n/m" is a fraction or ratio that represents the division of two numbers, where n is the numerator and m is the denominator. It can also be read as "n divided by m" or "n over m".

2. Can "n/m" exist in natural numbers (N)?

Yes, "n/m" can exist in natural numbers as long as the division results in a whole number. For example, 2/1 = 2 and 6/2 = 3, both of which are natural numbers.

3. How do you define "n/m" when both n and m are natural numbers?

When both n and m are natural numbers, "n/m" can be defined as the result of dividing n by m. This can also be represented as a fraction or ratio, where n is the numerator and m is the denominator.

4. Is "n/m" the same as "m/n"?

No, "n/m" and "m/n" are not the same. The order of the numbers in a fraction matters, and swapping the numerator and denominator will result in a different value. For example, 2/3 is not the same as 3/2.

5. What happens when m is equal to 0 in "n/m"?

When m is equal to 0, "n/m" is undefined. This is because division by 0 is undefined in mathematics. In other words, there is no number that when multiplied by 0, will result in the value of n. Therefore, "n/0" is not a valid mathematical expression.