Coupling in the Ising model

In summary, the two systems are thermodynamically equivalent if Hamiltonian is the same for both cases. If you want to have ferromagnetic and antiferromagnetic coupling in a d-dimensional lattice, you have to come up with a transformation that will map sites only by B sites.
bhaubhau
I was trying to understand why for every spin configuration of a ferromagnetic system, there exists a corresponding isoenergetic state of an antiferromagnetic system.
Can I treat an antiferromagnetically coupled 1-D ising model as a combination of two interpenetrating sublattices which are ferromagnetically coupled. If so, then how do I visualise this in 2 and 3 dimensions and extend the argument to d-dimensions?

Basnically, how are these two systems (ferromagetically and antiferromagnetically correlated)
thermodynamically equivalent?

P.S: obviously, in the absence of a magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that in 2 and 3 dimensions you want a square or cubic lattice (or some other bipartite lattice).

Your Hamiltonian is
[tex]
H = -J \sum_i s_i s_{i+1}
[/tex]
So, if J > 0 then we have ferromagnetic (FM) coupling, and if J < 0 then we have antiferromagnetic (AFM) coupling.

In 1 dimension, if you label every other site as (a) or (b), ie:
a b a b a b a .. etc

then to map AFM onto FM introduce a variable which is a flipped spin on the b sublattice (taking the first site as i=0):
[tex]
\sigma_i = (-1)^i s_i
[/tex]

Then in the AFM case the Hamiltonian becomes
[tex]
H = -|J| \sum_i \sigma_i \sigma_{i+1}
[/tex]
which is the same Hamiltonian as for the FM case

would it work the same way for a d-dimensional lattices as well?
wht kind of variable would i choose for nearest and next nearest neighbor interactions?
I am pretty confused! This does seem simple but I can't understand this physically at all.

Last edited:
Yes, it works for higher dimensional lattices, as long as they are bipartite. In general, you have to figure out how it will work for any particular lattice. You have to come up with some sort of transformation so that A lattice sites are surrounded only by B lattice sites. For instance in the 2D square lattice, your transformation is [tex]\sigma_i = (-1)^{i+j}s_i[/tex]

This won't work for all lattices. A triangular lattice in 2-dimensions for instance can't be transformed in this way. In fact, antiferromagnetism is frustrated on a triangular lattice.

I just searched for frustration. So you basically mean that the ground state for a triangular lattice does not have a unique ground state. Hence non zero entropy. Interesting.
Is that because the hamiltonian for the ground state can be written in more than one ways?

Last edited:
No, when you rework the Hamiltonian you are just writing the same thing in a different way. It has nothing to do with frustration.

The frustration comes from the geometry. If you just look at a single equilateral triangle and try to put spins on the corners with AFM ordering, you have a problem. Pick one of them to be up, another to be down, and then no matter whether you pick the third to be up or down it will still have a bond with a like spin, which AFM doesn't like. The same principle extends to the triangular lattice.

1. What is the Ising model?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a large collection of interacting particles or spins. It was originally developed to study the properties of magnetic materials, but has since been applied to various other systems in physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. What is coupling in the Ising model?

Coupling in the Ising model refers to the interaction between neighboring particles. In the model, particles are arranged on a lattice and each particle has a spin that can be either up or down. The coupling between two particles is determined by the energy associated with their relative orientations.

3. How does coupling affect the behavior of the Ising model?

The strength of the coupling between particles can influence the overall behavior of the Ising model. If the coupling is strong, neighboring particles will tend to align their spins, resulting in a more ordered state. If the coupling is weak, particles will have a greater tendency to have randomly oriented spins, leading to a more disordered state.

4. What is the critical temperature in the Ising model?

The critical temperature is the temperature at which the Ising model undergoes a phase transition from an ordered state to a disordered state. At temperatures below the critical temperature, the coupling between particles is strong enough to maintain an ordered state. Above the critical temperature, the coupling is not strong enough and the system becomes disordered.

5. How is the Ising model used in real-world applications?

The Ising model has been used to study a wide range of phenomena, including magnetism, phase transitions, and social behavior. It has also been applied to practical problems such as modeling the behavior of complex systems in economics and predicting protein folding in biology. Additionally, it serves as a fundamental model for understanding the behavior of many other physical systems.