What's wrong with reusing essays?

• Thread starter Kazham
  • Start date
In summary, the policy against reusing essays in college may seem unfair, but the purpose of college is not just to learn new things, but also to improve upon acquired skills. Reusing the same essay may not provide much opportunity for growth and development, and it may also be seen as taking the easy way out. However, it ultimately depends on the individual and their own values and goals. Some may see it as a challenge to write a new essay that can stand on its own for multiple courses, while others may view it as a waste of time. Ultimately, it is important to make the most of the opportunities given in college and to always strive for improvement and growth.
Kazham
Our school has a policy against reusing the same essay for multiple courses, but why? The point of college is (or should be) to learn new things. If you have the chance to reuse an essay because the assignment is similar enough, then conjuring up an entirely new essay is hardly going to teach you that much more. If your old paper would get a passing grade in this new class, then you've already demonstrated that you have the neccesary skills. Insisting that you do it again seems to me that quantity is considered more important than quality. If it's an issue of getting the same credit for less work than your classmates, I'd argue that the workload is inherently unfair, with more talented students having to do only a fraction of the work that some others do for the same grade.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, you wrote one passing paper. That's it? That's all you need to do? The point of college is to learn how to think. But even it the point is as you said:
Kazham said:
The point of college is (or should be) to learn new things.
How do you think you're doing that by turning in the same paper? Sounds like you're rationalizing laziness.

Or maybe not. Be the genius like Bill Gates, and Dean Kamen. You're too smart to waste your time in college. Clearly you have everything you need to score your fortune. Drop out now!

Okay...

There's two answers to this question; If the course is badly put together and they are essentially asking the same question twice and there literally is nothing more to say on the topic that you haven't said in your other essay then there is room for complaint. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with trying to answer a different yet similar question in a different way, you still have to utilise skills of research, critique, argument and essay writing.

I would consider it a worthy challenge to write an essay that would stand on its own for two different courses.

But if you succeeded...?

Kazham said:
But if you succeeded...?
In my opinion, such a task would be harder, not easier, than writing two separate essays. And since the school forbids it, its a no brainer. Don't do it. But if you think you're up to the challenge, then write such an essay, just don't hand it into both professors.

Last edited:
Kazham said:
conjuring up an entirely new essay is hardly going to teach you that much more.
Really, you think you cannot improve your essay writing? As with anything you get better through practice.

School is not only about learning new skills, it's also about improving your acquired skills.

Kazham said:
Our school has a policy against reusing the same essay for multiple courses, but why? The point of college is (or should be) to learn new things. If you have the chance to reuse an essay because the assignment is similar enough, then conjuring up an entirely new essay is hardly going to teach you that much more. If your old paper would get a passing grade in this new class, then you've already demonstrated that you have the neccesary skills. Insisting that you do it again seems to me that quantity is considered more important than quality. If it's an issue of getting the same credit for less work than your classmates, I'd argue that the workload is inherently unfair, with more talented students having to do only a fraction of the work that some others do for the same grade.

As a parent, if I'm working my butt off (and that would take some work) to pay tens of thousands of dollars to send my child to school, I wouldn't be too happy with my kid using the cut and paste method of doing class work. You owe your best effort in everything you do. Even if you are in school on a free ride, someone ended up paying for you to be there and you occupy the seat that someone else would have had. You have been given an opportunity; use it.

Monique said:
Really, you think you cannot improve your essay writing? As with anything you get better through practice.

School is not only about learning new skills, it's also about improving your acquired skills.

I think this is indisputable.

I found HS school and in particular grade school math very repetitive.

Kazham, if nothing else consider it practice, but as chi pointed out it seems you have already rationalized this is as unfair and a waste of time.

It is what you make of it, and you made it unfair and a waste of time.

I don't remember this ever coming up in college (or even high school). If your assignments are so vague and general that you can frequently reuse old essays, you might want to consider a new college.

I was rather amazed at the usage my sister-in-law got out of her essays.

While she never reused an essay verbatim, she never wanted to do the research for a new essay and was quite good at reworking about three different essays to fit whatever course she happened to be taking at the time.

This was the same sister-in-law that fedexed a box of rocks and her geology lab book to me a week before the end of her last semester crying that if I didn't do her labs for her, she wouldn't graduate. Which made me wonder - if a person that's actually attended geology classes asks a person that's never taken geology to do their labs, is it actually cheating? Or just really dumb?

Given that the two classes she had that actually dealt with her major were incredibly work intensive, that her advisor suggested she pick something really easy for the last elective she needed, and that she instead chose something that looked really interesting, I guess the answer to that question might be pretty easy.

Last edited:

1. Why is reusing essays frowned upon in academia?

Reusing essays is frowned upon in academia because it goes against the principles of academic integrity and originality. Academic essays are meant to be original pieces of work that contribute to the field of study, and reusing them raises concerns about plagiarism and intellectual laziness.

2. Can I reuse parts of my own essays for different assignments?

Yes, you can reuse parts of your own essays for different assignments, as long as you properly cite and reference your previous work. However, it is important to check with your instructor or university's policy on self-plagiarism to ensure that you are not violating any rules.

3. What are the consequences of reusing essays without proper citation?

The consequences of reusing essays without proper citation can range from receiving a failing grade on the assignment to facing serious consequences, such as academic probation or expulsion. It also damages your academic reputation and credibility.

4. Is it okay to reuse essays for different classes?

No, it is not okay to reuse essays for different classes. Each class and assignment may have different requirements and expectations, and reusing an essay from a previous class may not meet those requirements. It is important to put in the effort to create original work for each class.

5. Can I use essays from online sources and claim them as my own?

No, using essays from online sources and claiming them as your own is considered plagiarism and is a serious academic offense. It is important to properly cite and reference any sources you use in your essays to avoid plagiarism and maintain academic integrity.