What are the implications of a world population of only 2 billion?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, 2 billion people should have adequate food, renewable energy, and forest products, but they should also have adequate freshwater resources. Technologies are currently available for the effective management and protection of water resources.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://dieoff.org/page174.htm

A world population of 2 billion, in addition to having adequate food, renewable energy, and forest products, should also have adequate freshwater resources (Postel, 1997). For agricultural and industrial production as well as public needs, we suggest approximately 1.2 million liters per person each year. Water resources, as with soil, would have to be conserved and pollution controlled. Humans would need to cease the overdraft of ground-water resources, instead, using ground-water in a more sustainable manner. Again, technologies are currently available for the effective management and protection of water resources (Postel,

So who is going to leave?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4391835.stm

The report says only four ecosystem services have been enhanced in the last 50 years: increases in crop, livestock and aquaculture production, and increased carbon sequestration for global climate regulation (which has come from new forests planted in the Northern Hemisphere).

Two services - fisheries and fresh water - are said now to be well beyond levels that can sustain current, much less future, demands.

*raises hand* I guess it's "no kids" for me. I can leave behind a better legacy, I think.

wolram said:
Two services - fisheries and fresh water - are said now to be well beyond levels that can sustain current, much less future, demands.

Which is why I've bought stock in water technology companies!

wolram said:
So who is going to leave?
I have a few suggestions... :devil:

Eugenics probably will not turn out that good. Russian Roulette? It is either that or making developed countries out of the developing world to reduce birth rate.

Where did you even get the world's population is 2 billions. China's population is 2 billions

ThienAn said:
Where did you even get the world's population is 2 billions. China's population is 2 billions
No, he's saying that ideally a world population of 2 billion would be highly sustainable.

What is the concept of "Only room for two Billion"?

The concept of "Only room for two Billion" refers to the idea that the Earth can only sustain a population of two billion people without causing detrimental effects to the environment and resources. This concept is based on the limited resources and carrying capacity of the planet.

What evidence supports the concept of "Only room for two Billion"?

There is scientific evidence that shows the Earth's resources, such as clean water, arable land, and fossil fuels, are limited and cannot sustain a population larger than two billion. Additionally, studies have shown that human activities, such as deforestation and pollution, have caused significant damage to the environment and are contributing to the Earth's declining carrying capacity.

What are the consequences of exceeding the Earth's carrying capacity?

Exceeding the Earth's carrying capacity can lead to a variety of consequences, including depletion of natural resources, environmental degradation, and an increase in global temperature. This can also result in food and water shortages, economic instability, and social unrest.

Can technology and innovation help increase the Earth's carrying capacity?

While technology and innovation can improve efficiency and help manage resources, it cannot change the fact that the Earth has a limited carrying capacity. Additionally, relying solely on technology can have unintended consequences and may not be a sustainable solution in the long run.

What can be done to address the issue of "Only room for two Billion"?

To address this issue, it is important to promote sustainable practices and lifestyles that reduce our impact on the Earth's resources. This can include reducing consumption, conserving resources, and implementing renewable energy sources. It is also crucial to address population growth through education and access to family planning resources.