What is the direction of the magnetic field at point P?

In summary, a positively charged particle traveling in the positive x direction experiences no magnetic force at point P, indicating that the magnetic field B at point P is parallel to the x axis. However, when the particle moves along the +z axis, it feels a force in the positive y direction, indicating that the B field is in the -x direction. This is due to the use of a left hand coordinate system, which yields the incorrect result. The correct answer can be found by using a right hand coordinate system.
ehilge

Homework Statement

A positively charged particle moving in the direction of the positive x-axis feels no magnetic force when it passes through point P. When moving in the direction of the positive z axis, the particle experiences a magnetic force in the positive y direction when it passes through point P. Thus the magnetic field B at point P is directed along:.

Homework Equations

F=q(v x b)

right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the particle feels no force when traveling in the direction of positive x, (v x b) must be 0 and the only way this happens is if the angle between the is the angle between the velocity and B field is 0 or 180. So the B field must be parallel to the x axis. Now the question states when the particle moves along the + z axis, it feels a force in the positive y direction. Due to the right hand rule, I believe that this must mean the b field is in the -x direction. Fingers in the direction of the velocity (+z), thumb in the direction of the force (+y), curl fingers towards the B field, which then must be the -x direction.

However, the answer is not the -x axis. Could you please show me where I went wrong in my reasoning and help me find the correct answer?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description of how you solved this is correct, but for some reason you came up with -x instead of +x.

I am just guessing, either you used your left hand by mistake, or you are picturing the x,y,z axes incorrectly.

If the axes are set up properly, then +x × +y = +z

EDIT
LowlyPion beat me to it.

Yup, after reviewing that, it appears that I definitely used a left hand coordinate system. Thanks for your help.

1. What is the direction of a magnetic field?

The direction of a magnetic field is the direction in which a north magnetic pole would be pulled or attracted to. It is also the direction that a compass needle points towards.

2. How is the direction of a magnetic field determined?

The direction of a magnetic field is determined by the direction of the flow of electric current or the orientation of a magnet. The field lines of a magnetic field point from north to south, indicating the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Does the direction of a magnetic field change?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can change. Magnetic fields can be altered or reversed by external forces such as electric currents, other magnetic fields, or the movement of charged particles.

4. How does the direction of a magnetic field affect other objects?

The direction of a magnetic field can affect the movement and behavior of other objects. For example, the Earth's magnetic field affects the navigation of animals and the functioning of technology such as compasses and satellites.

5. Can the direction of a magnetic field be manipulated?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic field can be manipulated through various methods such as using electromagnets or changing the orientation of magnets. This is commonly used in technology and research, such as in MRI machines and particle accelerators.