Boost Your Equations: How to Make the Integral Sign Larger - Expert Tips

In summary, the author is asking how to make the integral sign larger. They suggest using the \int control sequence and setting the limits to make the sign bigger.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I know that I am asking too many questions these days, but I really need these helps, and I think this forum can do that.

My problem is: I have equations that when I wrote using Latex, the integral sign seems very small relative to other terms. How can I make it larger?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The best answer I can give you so far is to look into the \DeclareMathSizes command. This needs to go in your preamble, and let's you redefine the size of the object when in display mode, inline text mode, sub/superscript, and nested sub/superscripts.

Code:
%put this in your preamble, and fiddle with the last three parameters for each line
\DeclareMathSizes{10}{18}{12}{8}   % For size 10 text
\DeclareMathSizes{11}{19}{13}{9}   % For size 11 text
\DeclareMathSizes{12}{20}{14}{10}  % For size 12 text

For more info, check out http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Advanced_Mathematics#Changing_font_size

What are you using for your integral? When I typically use it, it displays a fine, normal size:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\int \sin(x)\,dx = -\cos(x)
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\int \frac{1}{x}\,dx = \ln(x)
\end{equation}
[/tex]

minger said:
What are you using for your integral? When I typically use it, it displays a fine, normal size:
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\int \sin(x)\,dx = -\cos(x)
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\int \frac{1}{x}\,dx = \ln(x)
\end{equation}
[/tex]

What do think about this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=19755&stc=1&d=1247862524.jpg

I am using the \int control sequence.

Regards

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,875
It looks perfectly legible to me, both in the forums and in your attachment. You would prefer to see the integral extend above and below the fraction?

I was pondering this, and maybe there's a way to custom design the rubber length parenthesis. You know the commands \left(, \left\[, left\{, \left<, \left., and their \right counterparts? These expand to fit the contents. Maybe if you could custom define a \left\int, the \int sign will rubberband to expand to the right size.

Every time you use a \left command, you need to close it with a \right command. The . is great for doing this if you don't want something to appear on the opposite side.

[tex]
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
g(x) &= \int_0^\infty \left(\frac{ \frac{ \frac{1}{1 + x} }{ 2 + x} }{3 + x}\right) dx\\
&= \int_0^\infty \frac{df(x)}{dx}dx\\
&= \left. f(x) \right|_0^\infty
\end{split}
\end{equation}
[/tex]

The first line looks kinda bad, so if the \int could expand in the same way the parenthesis are, it would be great.

One problem which I think makes it "look" smaller is the limits.
[tex]
\begin{equation}
f(x) = \int_0^1 \sin(x)\,dx
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
g(x) = \int\limits_0^1 \cos(x)\,dx
\end{equation}
[/tex]
Try using the \limits on your \int to put the limits above the integral sign, makes it look better IMHO.
Code:
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

minger said:
One problem which I think makes it "look" smaller is the limits.
[tex]
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
[/tex]
Try using the \limits on your \int to put the limits above the integral sign, makes it look better IMHO.
Code:
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
\end{equation}

Good to know that, it is useful in some cases for sure. For my case, it still small even though. Anyway, thanks minger for this information.

Regards

1. How do I make the integral sign larger in my equations?

In most word processing or equation editing software, you can select the integral sign and adjust its size by using the font size or scaling options. You can also try using a larger font for the entire equation to make the integral sign appear larger in comparison.

2. Why is it important to have a larger integral sign in my equations?

A larger integral sign can make your equations more legible and easier to read, especially if you are presenting them in a large format such as on a poster or presentation slide. It can also help to emphasize the importance of the integral in the overall equation.

3. Can I change the size of the integral sign without changing the rest of the equation?

Yes, most equation editing software allows you to adjust the size of individual elements within an equation. You can select the integral sign and change its size without affecting the rest of the equation.

4. How do I make the integral sign larger in handwritten equations?

If you are writing equations by hand, you can simply draw a larger integral sign by using a thicker pen or marker. You can also try writing the integral sign with a different color to make it stand out more.

5. Is there a standard size for the integral sign in mathematical equations?

There is no set standard for the size of the integral sign in equations. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the context of the equation. However, it is important to ensure that the integral sign is clearly visible and legible in relation to the rest of the equation.