The House is bringing back the Keystone pipeline

• News
  • Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
In summary, the House of Representatives passed an energy bill on Thursday that would wrest control of a permit for the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline away from President Barack Obama, who has put the project on hold. The bill, part of a broader House Republican effort to fund highways and infrastructure projects, would also expand offshore oil drilling and open up parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling. Most of what I could find from about 30 minuets of quick research is that the project is going to help big oil by getting crude to refiners easier and cheaper so that big oil will make a profit.
In my opinion, energy storage is the largest obstacle to renewables. If we could just store massive amounts of energy, we could run a much lower energy generation capacity.

No we wouldn't, the energy used is the same and you would have to build significantly more capacity to charge the batteries or whatever energy storage mechanism there is. In addition the storage mechanism itself is likely to be massively expensive, costing more than a billion dollars per gigawatt. Why go with something so expensive and unreliable when there are clearly better choices? Why do you want to artificially starve our civilization of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
Again, has President Obama specifically cited CO2 as a reason to block the pipeline?

I certainly hope not, because that would be a complete red herring.

I'm only putting CO2 discussions into a more realistic context as it seems to keep coming up in this discussion.

The Alberta chart from CaptFP shows 107 g CO2/MJ for oil sands, of which 33 g comes from well to tank production, and US average imported oil shows 102 g CO2/MJ, of which 28 g CO2/MJ comes from production. Looking at just production emissions, as I suspect most these other reports do, the difference is 17%. The difference for total emissions, production and consumption of the oil, is 5%.

Similarly California heavy oil as 42% higher emissions than average US oil for production, but we don't see Hanson reading speeches in front of Ca heavy oilfields.

aquitaine said:
No we wouldn't, the energy used is the same and you would have to build significantly more capacity to charge the batteries or whatever energy storage mechanism there is. In addition the storage mechanism itself is likely to be massively expensive, costing more than a billion dollars per gigawatt. Why go with something so expensive and unreliable when there are clearly better choices? Why do you want to artificially starve our civilization of energy?

Artificially starve our civilization of energy? 0.o

Why would you need to build more capacity to charge the storage systems? One of the major benefits of building massive storage systems is that peak shaving can be performed.

One of the distinctive characteristics of the electric power sector is that the amount of electricity that can be generated is relatively fixed over short periods of time, although demand for electricity fluctuates throughout the day. Developing technology to store electrical energy so it can be available to meet demand whenever needed would represent a major breakthrough in electricity distribution. Helping to try and meet this goal, electricity storage devices can manage the amount of power required to supply customers at times when need is greatest, which is during peak load. These devices can also help make renewable energy, whose power output cannot be controlled by grid operators, smooth and dispatchable.

http://energy.gov/oe/technology-development/energy-storage

Essentially, the idea is similar to a capacitor for a Camera flash. The battery for the camera cannot generate enough power to make the flash... flash. So the capacitor stores energy and it releases when the flash occurs. Likewise, our current system is akin to using a big enough battery to provide enough power from a generation perspective instead of using a capacitor. There exists a great deal of waste in this method.

Artificially starve our civilization of energy? 0.o

Why would you need to build more capacity to charge the storage systems? One of the major benefits of building massive storage systems is that peak shaving can be performed.

So what about when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining? If you're going to go entirely renewable, that needs to be taken into account which is the true reason for needing massive energy storage in the first place. Remember, these are energy sources that don't always produce. I submit Exhibit B, a Der Spiegel article discussing that, despite having spent 100 billion euros all those solar farms for weeks and weeks they didn't produce any electricity. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I also submit http://www.kgw.com/news/local/TriMet-solar-energy-project-construction-begins-in-SW-Portland-134694858.html Trimet spent ~$350,000 on a mini solar farm and is expected to save ~$3,500, and these only have a lifespan of about 25 years. So in order to be competitive electricity would need to be at least 4 times what it is today. That is why going with these nonsensical solutions is starving our civilization energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Points to ponder.

The Keystone pipeline appears to be two pipelines. EDIT. my bad one of the piplines was completed in 2010?? The map is interactive

http://www.transcanada.com/keystone_pipeline_map.html

There is still a twin Canadian pipeline being planned for the pacific.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enbridge_Northern_Gateway_Pipelines

Tar sands open pit mining is about as ugly as it gets.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/what-are-tar-sands-110902.html

The bitumen produced at the mines is too thick to flow through a pipeline without lighter weight hydrocarbons added. Essentially it isn't the crude oil we know and love:wink:. Most web sites refer to it as synthetic crude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sands

The pipeline is to be buried just four feet deep and will run at a pressure of 1400 PSI

http://www.pipelineandgasjournal.com/keystone-pipeline-project-moving-toward-completion?page=show

EDITED 7:18 PM

aquitaine said:
So what about when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining? If you're going to go entirely renewable, that needs to be taken into account which is the true reason for needing massive energy storage in the first place. Remember, these are energy sources that don't always produce. I submit Exhibit B, a Der Spiegel article discussing that, despite having spent 100 billion euros all those solar farms for weeks and weeks they didn't produce any electricity. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

I also submit http://www.kgw.com/news/local/TriMet-solar-energy-project-construction-begins-in-SW-Portland-134694858.html Trimet spent ~$350,000 on a mini solar farm and is expected to save ~$3,500, and these only have a lifespan of about 25 years. So in order to be competitive electricity would need to be at least 4 times what it is today. That is why going with these nonsensical solutions is starving our civilization energy.

Your mixing apples with oranges. Energy storage systems are beneficial for any kind of power generation. We would need to burn less coal to produce the same capacity.

I'm aware of the intermittent nature of many types of renewables. And this brings me back with the point that we must start with energy storage systems.

Can we stick to the topic of Keystone?

edward said:
Points to ponder.

The Keystone pipeline appears to be two pipelines. EDIT. my bad one of the piplines was completed in 2010?? The map is interactive

The Keystone XL project is an extension of the existing Keystone pipeline that already crosses into the US from Canada. This was mentioned earlier.

There is still a twin Canadian pipeline being planned for the pacific.

Yes, the Northern Gateway. This was also mentioned. It has met with opposition from various ENGOs and aboriginal groups.
Tar sands open pit mining is about as ugly as it gets.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/what-are-tar-sands-110902.html

I'd say http://www.smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/photos/?c=y&articleID=111461539&page=4 are pretty ugly too; or even some oil fields abroad or http://inspirationgreen.com/assets/images/Art/Oil%20Pics/oil%20fields%20bakersfield%20calif.jpg.

We've scarred the surface of the Earth (or poisoned its waters) in many, many ways. The oil sands leave a nasty footprint, but there are extremely stringent reclamation regulations in place. Will these return the landscape to its original state? Not likely. This is the ugly truth of exploiting the Earth's resources that countries around the world demand.

The bitumen produced at the mines is too thick to flow through a pipeline without lighter weight hydrocarbons added. Essentially it isn't the crude oil we know and love:wink:. Most web sites refer to it as synthetic crude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sands

False. It is diluted with naptha and/or other constituents into what is referred to as dilbit (diluted bitumen) which is then transported via pipeline to an upgrader. At the upgrader, it is upgraded into Synthetic Crude Oil (SCO). It may also be refined at this point, or further transported to a refinery. Much of this has been mentioned previously.
The pipeline is to be buried just four feet deep and will run at a pressure of 1400 PSI

http://www.pipelineandgasjournal.com/keystone-pipeline-project-moving-toward-completion?page=show

All pipelines are buried at or around this depth. This allows for regular maintenance and inspection. It also keeps the pipeline well above aquifers. You seem to be suggesting that the Keystone XL pipeline will be over-pressured or, at least, using pressures much higher than other pipelines. Is this accurate?

Some of the comments in this thread surprise me. I realize that this is the General Discussion sub-forum and this is a hot topic, but many of the unsubstantiated or extremely subjective claims seem to run counter to the basic standards of the scientific community that gathers here.

There are extremely important environmental issues to consider when it comes to developing the oil sands. These issues are the same issues that every industrial development needs to consider. Alberta leads the way in examining cumulative effects and the land management tools required to mitigate the effects of its long history of oil and gas development and future development. Every developed and developing country needs to consider the cumulative impacts of industry, urban sprawl, etc... so I'm not sure what the scientific and objective reasons are to "villainize" oil sands development.

As I've said previously, there is a demand for crude oil. The demand is great enough that the oil sands are now economically produce. The same goes for shale gas, tight oil and other unconventional sources of hydrocarbons. Peak Oil clearly illustrates this process of shifting to more and more unconventional sources.

The focus here should not be how "terrible" they are but how to best mitigate the inevitable impacts of developing the oil sands. They are going to be produced, so how do we best address that fact? The provincial and federal government have developed and continue to develop regulations and other tools to offset production. Should this not be where minds come to focus in order to determine how to improve or expand on those tools?

CaptFirePanda:
False. It is diluted with naptha and/or other constituents into what is referred to as dilbit (diluted bitumen) which is then transported via pipeline to an upgrader. At the upgrader, it is upgraded into Synthetic Crude Oil (SCO). It may also be refined at this point, or further transported to a refinery. Much of this has been mentioned previously.

Actually that is exactly what I stated

Naptha is a lighter weight hydrocarbon. So are butane C4 and pentane C5

Butane (C4), which is either blended with condensate for use as a diluent in Alberta, or sold into U.S. markets.
Condensate (C5), which is used by bitumen and heavy oil producers as a diluent (condensate decreases the viscosity of bitumen and heavy oil, enabling these substances to flow easily through pipelines).

http://www.providentenergy.com/bus/midstream.cfm

My point was that it isn't synthetic crude at that point, it is dilbit. It only becomes synthetic crude after it is upgraded.

CaptFirePanda said:
My point was that it isn't synthetic crude at that point, it is dilbit. It only becomes synthetic crude after it is upgraded.

Got it.:smile:

feathermoon said:
Emphasis mine.

I wasn't going to reply until I'd caught up with reading everyone's post, but you caught my eye already.

1.) The tar sands oil isn't going to be used by us if XL is approved. The plan is to pipe it to Gulf refineries for major exportation. You posted an article claiming Canada responded to Obama saying they would sell to Asia. In reality, exporting was the plan all along. XL will actually raise oil prices in the U.S. midwest by allowing easier exportation of Canadian oil. Your statement is disinformative.

TransCanada’s 2008 Permit Application states “Existing markets for Canadian heavy crude, principally PADD II [U.S. Midwest], are currently oversupplied, resulting in price discounting for Canadian heavy crude oil. Access to the USGC [U.S. Gulf Coast] via the Keystone XL Pipeline is expected to strengthen Canadian crude oil pricing in [the Midwest] by removing this oversupply. This is expected to increase the price of heavy crude to the equivalent cost of imported crude. The resultant increase in the price of heavy crude is estimated to provide an increase in annual revenue to the Canadian producing industry in 2013 of US $2 billion to US $3.9 billion.”
This benefits 'us IMO' how?

2.) Tar sands mining leaves the area generally better than when they've found it? You believe that? Provide evidence for that statement.

1) You misunderstood what I said, but I'll address your (strawman) point directly: Read the page before your quote:

The production of crude in the U.S. continues to decline, and imports will increase due to rising demand by U.S. refineries combined with declining domestic supply. Traditional supply sources of heavy crude for the USGC, such as Mexico and Venezuela, are declining and some USGC refiners are diversifying their supply sources by obtaining access to Western Canadian crude.

Maybe I missed where 'the Gulf Coast refineries' aren't part of the US any more? They have the capability and capacity to refine the raw material from the tarsands (the actual numbers are given in that report).

2) As I referenced (in the 9/26/11 CBC article regarding protests): the cofounder of greenpeace was impressed with the reclamation and supported the tarsands development. From an American policy perspective, though, this is irrelevant because the development of the tarsands isn't contingent of the keystone XL pipeline - it will happen anyhow.

CaptFirePanda said:
As I've said previously, there is a demand for crude oil. The demand is great enough that the oil sands are now economically produce. The same goes for shale gas, tight oil and other unconventional sources of hydrocarbons. Peak Oil clearly illustrates this process of shifting to more and more unconventional sources.

The focus here should not be how "terrible" they are but how to best mitigate the inevitable impacts of developing the oil sands. They are going to be produced, so how do we best address that fact? The provincial and federal government have developed and continue to develop regulations and other tools to offset production. Should this not be where minds come to focus in order to determine how to improve or expand on those tools?

I agree with you here.

WhoWee said:
Has President Obama specifically claimed that global warming/climate change was a factor in his decision to halt the pipeline and all of the jobs and oil - or has he specified the location of the pipeline?

President Obama has nothing to do with my post that you responded to, nor is President Obama relevant to this thread. Please try to stay on topic and don't throw out red herrings.

I was stating my personal opinions on the pipeline, and contrary to what you may think, I don't take orders from President Obama.

Why you think President Obama's reasons matter to me at all is a source of great confusion to me.

How do you imagine holding a meaningful discussion on the politics portion of the Keystone pipeline by omitting any reference to the man who canceled it?

edward said:
Got it.:smile:

SixNein said:
I agree with you here.

Thanks, gents. Good discussion for the most part here and it would be interesting to see how perspectives evolve.

To be completely honest, I think these things (Keystone XL and Northern Gateway) would meet with similar opposition, but in a different form, if the crude being transported through them was from conventional sources rather than oil sands. What I mean is that I think there is more than just GHG and other environmental issues being considered and those other issues are what is really at play. That's really all I'll touch on as it sounds "tinfoil hat"-like and I don;t want to mire the discussion in unsubstantiated claims.

Jack21222 said:
President Obama has nothing to do with my post that you responded to, nor is President Obama relevant to this thread. Please try to stay on topic and don't throw out red herrings.

I was stating my personal opinions on the pipeline, and contrary to what you may think, I don't take orders from President Obama.

Why you think President Obama's reasons matter to me at all is a source of great confusion to me.

Wasn't your post discussing CO2?

Again, this is the OP: my bold
"The House is bringing back the Keystone pipeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is anyone else absolutely furious and dumbfounded about this? I know its typical of corporate america and government to put money for the wealthy ahead of the well being of everyone else on the planet, but come on. To believe that the Keystone pipeline would not be a complete ecological disaster one would have to be arrogant, delusional, or just insane. I know its a long way from passing but the shear fact that this bill was even resurrected shows how corrupt and arrogant the republican party is.

The actions that Obama has taken against this bill alone guarantees my vote for him for re-election. I don't agree with everything his does but I'm with him and the rest of the democrats 100% on this issue. I just can't understand why everyone else isn't.
The House of Representatives passed an energy bill on Thursday that would wrest control of a permit for the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline away from President Barack Obama, who has put the project on hold.

The bill, part of a broader House Republican effort to fund highways and infrastructure projects, would also expand offshore oil drilling and open up parts of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.

http://news.yahoo.com/house-passes-k...020608235.html"[/I]

Where is the red herring on my part?

mheslep said:
How do you imagine holding a meaningful discussion on the politics portion of the Keystone pipeline by omitting any reference to the man who canceled it?

Why don't we go straight to the source then:

Statement by the President on the Keystone XL Pipeline

Earlier today, I received the Secretary of State’s recommendation on the pending application for the construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline. As the State Department made clear last month, the rushed and arbitrary deadline insisted on by Congressional Republicans prevented a full assessment of the pipeline’s impact, especially the health and safety of the American people, as well as our environment. As a result, the Secretary of State has recommended that the application be denied. And after reviewing the State Department’s report, I agree.

This announcement is not a judgment on the merits of the pipeline, but the arbitrary nature of a deadline that prevented the State Department from gathering the information necessary to approve the project and protect the American people. I’m disappointed that Republicans in Congress forced this decision, but it does not change my Administration’s commitment to American-made energy that creates jobs and reduces our dependence on oil. Under my Administration, domestic oil and natural gas production is up, while imports of foreign oil are down. In the months ahead, we will continue to look for new ways to partner with the oil and gas industry to increase our energy security –including the potential development of an oil pipeline from Cushing, Oklahoma to the Gulf of Mexico – even as we set higher efficiency standards for cars and trucks and invest in alternatives like biofuels and natural gas. And we will do so in a way that benefits American workers and businesses without risking the health and safety of the American people and the environment.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/18/statement-president-keystone-xl-pipeline

CaptFirePanda said:
Thanks, gents. Good discussion for the most part here and it would be interesting to see how perspectives evolve.

To be completely honest, I think these things (Keystone XL and Northern Gateway) would meet with similar opposition, but in a different form, if the crude being transported through them was from conventional sources rather than oil sands. What I mean is that I think there is more than just GHG and other environmental issues being considered and those other issues are what is really at play. That's really all I'll touch on as it sounds "tinfoil hat"-like and I don;t want to mire the discussion in unsubstantiated claims.

My largest concern is about the price of gas. Our economy is really dependent on cheap fuel, and these unconventional forms of production really signal the end of cheap gas. Yes, GHG is also a concern; however, I believe high gas prices have the potential to do more damage in my lifetime.

I think some people believe that price will go down with the "discovery" of these unconventional sources.

SixNein said:
Why don't we go straight to the source then:

Obama said:
This announcement is not a judgment on the merits of the pipeline, but the arbitrary nature of a deadline that prevented the State Department from gathering the information necessary to approve the project and protect the American people.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/01/18/statement-president-keystone-xl-pipeline
While I'm sure many supporters of Obama believe he just needed more time and study to make his decision and many other supporters don't care as long as he axed it, I believe that this is the same stall/study, bury tactic Obama used to dodge debt reduction and shut down (probably illegally) the Yucca mountain nuclear waste repository.

Last edited:
SixNein said:
My largest concern is about the price of gas. Our economy is really dependent on cheap fuel, and these unconventional forms of production really signal the end of cheap gas. Yes, GHG is also a concern; however, I believe high gas prices have the potential to do more damage in my lifetime.

I think some people believe that price will go down with the "discovery" of these unconventional sources.

I agree that they will signal the end to cheap gas. The concept of why they do, however, is important to note. These unconventional resources are being sought after and produced, not because some big name companies or a federal/provincial government decided that it would be a good idea to spend more to get less and jack up the prices of crude, gas, etc... They are being sought after because conventional reserves are dwindling. Even on the conventional side, we have to drill more to produce the same (or less) as we did in the past; the return on energy is shrinking.

We've gone out and produced a great percentage of the "sweet spots" where you'd just stick a vertical well in the ground and let the crude flow. Now we are challenged to use methods to retrieve crude left behind in those sweet spots (with enhanced oil recovery techniques and waterflooding), or we need to drill the less attractive stuff found in shales, or as extremely viscous crude in the oil sands. All of these methods require advances in technology, more intensive drilling (or mining in some cases with the oil sands), greater and greater energy to extract what is left and higher crude prices in order to make them economically sound.

To try to contain my rambling in a sentence or two: It isn't the oil sands that are increasing prices; it is the dwindling supply of conventional reserves that are increasing prices for the most part. There, is of course market speculation and other factors that will influence pricing, but an overall upward trend is the result of having to spend more to meet demand.

russ_watters said:
While I'm sure many supporters of Obama believe he just needed more time and study to make his decision and many other supporters don't care as long as he axed it, I believe that this is the same stall/study, bury tactic Obama used to dodge debt reduction and shut down (probably illegally) the Yucca mountain nuclear waste repository.

Some would say that the Yucca site was on the table at all because of equally insiduous tactics. The topic is just as controversial, I'm sure, as the Keystone XL topic but I'm not sure if fairly broad and politically biased opinions will solve anything.

CaptFirePanda said:
I agree that they will signal the end to cheap gas. The concept of why they do, however, is important to note. These unconventional resources are being sought after and produced, not because some big name companies or a federal/provincial government decided that it would be a good idea to spend more to get less and jack up the prices of crude, gas, etc... They are being sought after because conventional reserves are dwindling. Even on the conventional side, we have to drill more to produce the same (or less) as we did in the past; the return on energy is shrinking.

We've gone out and produced a great percentage of the "sweet spots" where you'd just stick a vertical well in the ground and let the crude flow. Now we are challenged to use methods to retrieve crude left behind in those sweet spots (with enhanced oil recovery techniques and waterflooding), or we need to drill the less attractive stuff found in shales, or as extremely viscous crude in the oil sands. All of these methods require advances in technology, more intensive drilling (or mining in some cases with the oil sands), greater and greater energy to extract what is left and higher crude prices in order to make them economically sound.

To try to contain my rambling in a sentence or two: It isn't the oil sands that are increasing prices; it is the dwindling supply of conventional reserves that are increasing prices for the most part. There, is of course market speculation and other factors that will influence pricing, but an overall upward trend is the result of having to spend more to meet demand.

How much damage do you think this will do to the world economy? We've already seen some demand destruction. America is particularly vulnerable to this imo. One could argue that the price of gas was a factor in our economic downturn.

CaptFirePanda said:
Some would say that the Yucca site was on the table at all because of equally insiduous tactics. The topic is just as controversial, I'm sure, as the Keystone XL topic but I'm not sure if fairly broad and politically biased opinions will solve anything.
There is little controversy in the scientific and engineering communities over nuclear power in general or wast or the Yucca project in particular. In addition, the law designating Yucca as our waste storage site was purposely made difficult to overturn in order to keep it from being used as a political football fifteen years ago. This law is still in effect, hence the apparent illegality of the Obama administration's actions. This is a political football for Obama and some Democrats, not for Republicans. He brought it up.

Obama closed the Yucca facility and said he'd study the issue. He appointed a committee to study it and they did. So where's his new nuclear waste policy? Well, just like with his debt commission, he ignored the study when it was published. Dealing with the nuclear waste issue was not his goal: finding a way to bury debate over his actions was.

For Keystone, I see the same tactics. I don't believe for a second that Obama's decision to delay a decision until 2013 was just coincidental to the fact that he is up for election in 2012. Remember, there was nothing for the government to study - all they had to do was review an application. And the application comes with a report. It doesn't take two years to review a report and application. If the application/report were insufficient/flawed, then they should have rejected it for those reasons, asking them to resubmit (which had already happened once). Instead, Obama basically just said he wasn't going to look at it until after being re-elected.

Actually, the record indicates the application was filed in 2008.

http://www.keystonepipeline-xl.state.gov/clientsite/keystonexl.nsf?Open

"TransCanada Keystone Pipeline, LP (Keystone) filed an application in 2008 for a Presidential Permit with the Department of State to build and operate the Keystone XL Project."

I'm surprised it wasn't stuffed into the Stimulus Bill.:rolleyes:

mege said:
1) You misunderstood what I said, but I'll address your (strawman) point directly: Read the page before your quote:

Maybe I missed where 'the Gulf Coast refineries' aren't part of the US any more? They have the capability and capacity to refine the raw material from the tarsands (the actual numbers are given in that report).

2) As I referenced (in the 9/26/11 CBC article regarding protests): the cofounder of greenpeace was impressed with the reclamation and supported the tarsands development. From an American policy perspective, though, this is irrelevant because the development of the tarsands isn't contingent of the keystone XL pipeline - it will happen anyhow.

1.) You said the tarsands would benefit the U.S. if the XL was built, I showed how the XL being built would raise gasoline prices in the midwest. I don't know even know what you're talking about with the Gulf Coast refineries for.

2.) I won't speak much on the issue of Dr. Moore, everyone is entitled to their (bought and sold) opinions. I will say that's evidence of nothing. One guy who receives paychecks from the papermill industry to be a anthropogenic climate change denier says that nonnative scrub is equal or greater to pristine boreal forest? That's a JOKE.

Read this study if you're interested in the reclamation. In 50+ years of oil sands drilling, 0.2% of all land used is officially considered reclaimed for the public.

I wonder how economic=right for so many. Economic for whom? The company doing the drilling, when profits are higher than costs? How does this translate to the value of land to the rest of the world over the next 150 years as [if] it recovers (biotic recovery models can show forests taking hundreds of years to stabalize)?

Is the risk included in the valuation (remember how the Valdez spill resulted in mass suicides, billions in economic damages, and occurred in waters easier to navigate than the ones tankers would be in if the Northern Gateway pipeline was built)?

I cited a few issues in my last post which were unmentioned since. Here's another topic for discussion.

Deadly toxins are found in highest concentrations near oil sands upgraders.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091207151335.htm

SixNein said:

The pipeline will raise the price of fuel in America. Maximum drilling would not do anything to lower the price of fuel for decades, and then only by cents. Perhaps you should be more concerned with higher efficiency standards lowering demand for oil, which actually may put a dent in gasoline prices?

@feathermoon,
Many of your considerations seem to me to be thoughtful and well researched. But I think they generally run contrary to the status quo. So, I predict that this thread will be locked soon. Anyway, it seems that pretty much anything that can be said about it, pro and con, has been said. The bottom line, imho, is that it will go through sometime following the November elections. That is, it's inevitable. So, there's no point in debating the merits, or lack, of it.

The Seaway Pipeline is being purged for reverse flow set to begin early this summer. Reversing the pipeline will bring oil from Cushing, OK to the Gulf Coast of America. This is being done because the price of WTI is $20 below Brent and other world spot market prices.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/21/pipeline-operatiions-seaway-idUSL2E8DL5M520120221

feathermoon said:
The pipeline will raise the price of fuel in America. Maximum drilling would not do anything to lower the price of fuel for decades, and then only by cents. Perhaps you should be more concerned with higher efficiency standards lowering demand for oil, which actually may put a dent in gasoline prices?

Your basic assumption is the oil will be exported from the US - actually reducing supply in the US Midwest - correct? Wouldn't this create a greater supply on the world market?

feathermoon said:
1.) You said the tarsands would benefit the U.S. if the XL was built, I showed how the XL being built would raise gasoline prices in the midwest. I don't know even know what you're talking about with the Gulf Coast refineries for.

The midwest and Gulf Coast refineries have a very significant effect on one another. Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Do you know where the Keystone XL is destined for?

2.) I won't speak much on the issue of Dr. Moore, everyone is entitled to their (bought and sold) opinions. I will say that's evidence of nothing. One guy who receives paychecks from the papermill industry to be a anthropogenic climate change denier says that nonnative scrub is equal or greater to pristine boreal forest? That's a JOKE.

Read this study if you're interested in the reclamation. In 50+ years of oil sands drilling, 0.2% of all land used is officially considered reclaimed for the public.

Speaking of bought and paid for opinions, The Pembina Institute is very much on that list.

You mention 50+ years of oil sands drilling when, in fact, development has been occurring for 35-40 years, most of the footprint is associated with mining not drilling, and the low number for reclamation is a result of the fact that the mining is still ongoing (so why reclaim it?).

WhoWee said:
Your basic assumption is the oil will be exported from the US - actually reducing supply in the US Midwest - correct? Wouldn't this create a greater supply on the world market?

While there is an excess supply in the Midwest, exporting the excess won't make a large impact on global markets. Economies of scale and whatnot (or even being offset by reduced production in other locales).