What does the word-final sigma symbol mean in maths?

In summary, The "word-final" version of sigma, denoted by ζ, is known as zeta and is a variation of the Greek letter sigma. It is different from the variation denoted by ##\varsigma## which is rarely used in mathematics. Other scripts, such as Hebrew and Arabic, also have letters with different shapes depending on their position within a word. In LaTeX, typing "s" will automatically generate the correct version of sigma.
ck99
Hi all, I have spent a good half hour searching for the meaning of this, but have only found results for upper-case sigma Ʃ and lower-case sigma σ. Can anyone tell me the meaning of the "word-final" version of sigma, which looks like ζ ?

I am trying to evaluate 3ζ(4) but I just need a definition or something to get me started!

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thankyou for the quick response, I can figure it out from that.

ck99 said:
Hi all, I have spent a good half hour searching for the meaning of this, but have only found results for upper-case sigma Ʃ and lower-case sigma σ. Can anyone tell me the meaning of the "word-final" version of sigma, which looks like ζ ?

I am trying to evaluate 3ζ(4) but I just need a definition or something to get me started!

Thanks.

I'm curious, what do you mean by ' "word-final" version of sigma '? Is 'word-final' a program, and are you referring to ##\varsigma##, a variation of ##\sigma## (usually called, appropriately, 'varsigma')?

The letter you have actually written, ##\zeta##, is 'zeta'. ##\varsigma## and ##\zeta##, though very similar, are different. (Almost no one actually uses ##\varsigma## to denote anything, it's pretty rare)

Mute said:
I'm curious, what do you mean by ' "word-final" version of sigma '? Is 'word-final' a program, and are you referring to ##\varsigma##, a variation of ##\sigma## (usually called, appropriately, 'varsigma')?

I think Knuth invented the name "varsigma" for TeX (and also varpi, vartheta, etc). AFAIK Greeks just call it "sigma", and it happens to be written with a different shape when it is the last letter of a Greek word. (There doesn't have to be a reason why. It just is.)

I don't think "varsigma" is ever used as a math symbol. Knuth created it so you could write Greek text in TeX.

But if you want to write Greek text in LaTeX, you don't need to bother with that low level stuff, you just tell Latex you want to write Greek, type "s" and you get the right version of sigma automatically.

FWIW other scripts (e.g. Hebrew and Arabic) have many letters that have different shapes depending on their position within a word. Some Arabic letters have four different shapes, not just two like Greek sigma.

You're right, I think I was getting confused between sigma and zeta. I just looked at a list of greek symbols and tried to find the one with the best match!

AlephZero said:
But if you want to write Greek text in LaTeX, you don't need to bother with that low level stuff, you just tell Latex you want to write Greek, type "s" and you get the right version of sigma automatically.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that easy, although I've been using LaTeX for quite some time. How do I "just tell" LaTeX that I want to write Greek? Surely there's some style file I need to use and some special font that needs to be installed?

1. What is the purpose of the word-final sigma symbol in math?

The word-final sigma symbol, also known as the "terminal sigma," is used in math to represent the sum of a series. It indicates the last term in a sequence of numbers that are being added together.

2. How is the word-final sigma symbol different from the regular sigma symbol?

The word-final sigma symbol has a distinct shape and is only used at the end of a series, while the regular sigma symbol can be used anywhere in a series to indicate the sum of all terms up to that point.

3. Can the word-final sigma symbol be used in any mathematical operation?

No, the word-final sigma symbol is only used to represent addition and cannot be used in other mathematical operations such as subtraction, multiplication, or division.

4. Is the word-final sigma symbol used in any other fields besides math?

Yes, the word-final sigma symbol is also used in linguistics to represent the final form of a word in Ancient Greek and other languages. It is also used in physics and chemistry to represent the sum of a series of variables or constants.

5. How is the word-final sigma symbol pronounced?

The word-final sigma symbol is pronounced as "sigma sub n" or "sigma n" where n represents the final term in the series. For example, if the series is 1+2+3+4, the word-final sigma symbol would be pronounced as "sigma sub 4" or "sigma 4."