Looking For a Theory whose entities turned out not to exist

by B100110
Tags: entities, exist, theory, turned
Evo
Aug29-13, 10:39 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Quote Quote by B100110 View Post
Thanks, but I already mentioned it in my first post. Do you know of any scientists, philosophers writing about it in that time? The only thing I see is the experiments that disproved it. But then again, its appeared and vanished too quickly for any substantial discourse on the topic.
I think you need to step back and decide whether you want what was considered valid science, or what was/is considered philosophy. Since we are a science forum, let's stick to actual science please.
B100110
Aug30-13, 10:27 AM
P: 7
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
I think you need to step back and decide whether you want what was considered valid science, or what was/is considered philosophy. Since we are a science forum, let's stick to actual science please.
I am actually talking about science and scientists who wrote about it. Sorry if I implied otherwise. I'm just looking for something specific that scientists actually said about an entity.

Anyways 18th-19th century atomic chemistry turned out to work quite so well. So thanks.
Hornbein
Sep24-13, 10:01 PM
P: 72
Quote Quote by B100110 View Post
Hey. I'm currently studying philosophy of physics and was looking around to find something I need. Basically I'm looking through the history of science to find cases where a theory posited entities that were supposed to have existed but failed. In other words, the theory had some true predictions, was somewhat verified and was then rejected because the entities it posited didn't exist.

The main one I'm looking at is the 19th century aether theory. EM radiations are waves. Back then, scientists assumed that since EM radiation is waves then there must be a medium. It was pretty much unfathomable to have waves independent of a medium (I know that currently some scientists posit the space-time continuum as the 'aether', but that's irrelevant for me). Aether was discredited by the Michelson and Morely experiment. My only problem with this is that even though aether was considered somewhat of a necessity back then, I couldn't find any scientist of that time writing about the topic (probably because it was very short lived).

Are there any such theories in physics or chemistry where an entity was indispensable to the theory and then the entity turned out to be false even though the theory has some true predictions?

Thanks
It happens all the time. The way I would put it, the model that is used to generate the mathematics is often wrong, or at least imperfect. Like the Bohr atom or Newtonian gravity and its action-at-a-distance.

Register to reply