Convergence of Fourier Series for Approximating an Odd 2pi Periodic Function

In summary: The absolute value of the difference between the two terms in the Fourier series is the max pointwise difference between the two terms.
standardflop
A odd 2pi periodic function, for which [itex] x \in [0;\pi] [/itex] is given by [itex] f(x)=\frac \pi{96}(x^4-2\pi
x^3+\pi^3x) [/itex]
was found to have the Fourier series
[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\sin(2n-1)x}{(2n-1)^5}, \ x \in \mathbb{R} [/tex]
The problem is now: prove that [itex] |f(x) - \sin x| \leq 0.01, \forall x \in \mathbb{R} [/itex]. The hint given was: Use integral test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? What is [tex] |f(x) - \sin x|[/tex]?

[itex] |f(x) - \sin x|[/itex] is the maximum pointwise difference between the two. I've tried looking at the integral [tex] \int_1^\infty \frac{\sin(2x-1) \tau }{(2x-1)^5} \ dx[/tex]
but i couldn not interpret the result. I don't see how the integral test otherwise can be used to compare two different function... Normally i would use it to see how many terms i need for a good approximation.

Since it's periodic, just integrate ¦f(x)-sin(x)| over 0->pi..then if ¦f(x)-sin(x)¦<.01 this means the integral should be smaller than .01*pi.or something like that

kleinwolf said:
Since it's periodic, just integrate ¦f(x)-sin(x)| over 0->pi..then if ¦f(x)-sin(x)¦<.01 this means the integral should be smaller than .01*pi.or something like that
I don't think that would work... That would not proove that | f(x) - sin(x) | is less than 0.01 for all x.

Isn't there a threefold inequality giving the bounds for the integral as sums related to the integral test? Googled it. Here's a http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/series.7/1.html (there is a text version with flash and java examples http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/6/series.7/). It goes like this, suppose [itex]\sum a_{n}[/itex] satisfies the hypotheses of the integral test, then

[tex]\int_{N+1}^{\infty} a_{n} dn \leq \sum_{n=N+1}^{\infty} a_{n} \leq \int_{N}^{\infty} a_{n} dn [/tex]

perhaps that may help you in estimating the error bounds desired above.

Last edited:
standardflop said:
[itex] |f(x) - \sin x|[/itex] is the maximum pointwise difference between the two.

I mean explicitly in terms of your Fourier series.

Using crude and trivial bounds, plus the integral bounds benorin has pointed out you should be able to get the result.

Well, your right, you could just integrate from 0 to y ¦f(x)-sin(x)¦dx...this should be <.01*y forall y.is this better ?...but you could also use maxima tests (take care of boundaries...)

shmoe said:
I mean explicitly in terms of your Fourier series.
I am not sure about what you mean.

You want to estimate [tex]|f(x)-\sin x|[/tex] and you know

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{\sin(2n-1)x}{(2n-1)^5}[/tex]

Substitute this for f(x). What's the first term of this Fourier series?

You should now have an infinite sum for [tex]|f(x)-\sin x|[/tex]. Bound it in the simplest way you can think of.

Thank you, now i get it... [tex] |f(x)-sin x|= \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{\sin(2n-1)x}{(2n-1)^5} [/tex]. But i cannot bound this series with the integral test, because the function, [tex] f(n)=\frac{\sin(2n-1)x}{(2n-1)^5} [/tex] , dosent obey the hypothesis in the test (of being continuous and decreasing)?

standardflop said:
Thank you, now i get it... [tex] |f(x)-sin x|= \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{\sin(2n-1)x}{(2n-1)^5} [/tex]

Where did the absolute value go?

I got it now, thanks for the patience.

1. What is the approximation problem?

The approximation problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding an approximate solution to a problem that cannot be solved exactly. It is often used in scientific and engineering fields when dealing with complex equations or systems.

2. Why is approximation important in science?

Approximation allows scientists to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable. It is also useful when dealing with data that is not precise or when exact solutions are not possible. Approximation can also help save time and resources in solving problems.

3. What are some common methods for solving approximation problems?

Some common methods for solving approximation problems include linearization, interpolation, and curve fitting. These methods involve using simplified equations or data points to estimate the solution to a more complex problem.

4. What are the limitations of using approximation in scientific research?

Approximation can introduce errors and inaccuracies in scientific research, as it is not an exact solution. It is also important to note that different approximation methods have different levels of accuracy, and the choice of method can affect the final result.

5. Can approximation be used in any scientific field?

Yes, approximation can be used in any scientific field that deals with complex equations or systems. It is especially useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where exact solutions may be difficult to obtain.