Can I Hide the Taskbar on My Mac During a Presentation?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mac
In summary, the conversation discusses how to hide the taskbar on a Mac while giving a presentation using software such as Keynote, PowerPoint, or Open Office. The individual is also concerned about the correct dimensions being transmitted to the projector. They later discover that changing the preferences in X11 allows the taskbar to disappear, but it is difficult to navigate in this mode.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How can I hide the taskbar at the top of the screen of a mac? When I make a presentation and do 'slideshow', the bar stays on screen (see attachment)

Attachments

• presentatie.jpg
    presentatie.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 430
Computer science news on Phys.org
with keynote or powerpoint?

open office

and I'm also worried that open office won't be transmitted to the beamer in the correct dimensions. As you see I've got a widescreen laptop, with 1440x960 I get the black vertical bars and beamer will resize so that the bars disappear, leaving the top and the bottom of the slide cropped (at least, that's what I notice with other people's presentations), when they resize their display the beamer will project correctly. The problem is when I resize my display to 1280x800 the way the presentation is displayed is weird (not sure how the beamer would deal with that).

Attachments

• resizedisplay.jpg
    resizedisplay.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Ah well, I found the culprit. It's X11, when I change the preferences to 'enable full screen mode' the taskbar disappears.. working with the mode is weird since I need to press alt-apple-a to make the application appear, which is otherwise hidden in that mode (it took me a while to find out which keys stand for command-option-a :rolleyes:)

1. How do I hide the taskbar on my Mac?

To hide the taskbar on a Mac, simply click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen and select "System Preferences." Then, click on "Dock" and check the box next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock."

2. Can I still access the taskbar when it's hidden?

Yes, you can access the taskbar when it's hidden by hovering your mouse over the bottom of the screen. The taskbar will then appear and you can click on any icons or open applications.

3. How do I unhide the taskbar on my Mac?

To unhide the taskbar, simply move your mouse to the bottom of the screen and it will automatically appear. Alternatively, you can go back to "System Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock."

4. Will hiding the taskbar affect my computer's performance?

No, hiding the taskbar on a Mac will not affect your computer's performance. It simply hides the taskbar from view and does not use any additional resources.

5. Can I customize the taskbar on a Mac?

Yes, you can customize the taskbar on a Mac by right-clicking on it and selecting "Options" or by going to "System Preferences" and clicking on "Dock." From there, you can change the size, position, and appearance of the taskbar.