Authenticating a Watch: What is the Rotating Bezel?

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible deal on a watch and asks for advice on how to determine if it is a fake. It also mentions the rotating bezel and its purpose, as well as the potential origins of the watch. Some suggest leaving the deal and saving money, while others explain the purpose of bezels on dive watches.
Andy
http://www.claude-valentini.co.uk/millenniumsports.htm

Anybody know anything about watches? I have been offered this watch for 100 pounds. The watch is still in its case and it still has its 5 year warranty certificate with it. The offer seems far too good to be true so can anyone out there give me any advice on how i would be able to tell if it was a fake?

And what's the rotating bezel for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how the person got it? There were some Krug Baumen watches cirulating about 5 years ago,£500 for £80 - £100. The story was that they were given away as freebies when someone bought a BMW, someone had an excessand was knoking them off on the side! The watches were genuin but if you had problems with them you were stuffed!

The bezel is the ring on the outside with the numbers on!

This guy is supposed to work for mercedes. Apparently if you buy a mercedes in mainland europe you get a watch chucked in with it. Whats the bezel ring actually there for?

Leave the watch alone and save your cash.

It`s my understanding that bezels were first used on dive watches to indicate to the diver the time he entered the water so he didn`t spend too much time at too deep a depth (but i could be wrong).

1. What is a rotating bezel on a watch?

A rotating bezel is a circular ring around the watch face that can be turned or rotated. It is typically marked with numbers, markers, or other indicators and is used to measure elapsed time or to track a specific event.

2. How does a rotating bezel work?

The rotating bezel works by using a unidirectional or bidirectional mechanism to turn the bezel. The mechanism is often a series of gears and pins that allow the bezel to rotate in one or both directions. The markings on the bezel can then be aligned with the watch hands to track elapsed time or to mark a specific event.

3. What is the purpose of a rotating bezel?

The rotating bezel serves multiple purposes, depending on the type of watch. In a diving watch, the bezel can be used to track the amount of time spent underwater. In a pilot's watch, the bezel can be used to track flight time or to calculate fuel consumption. In a general sports watch, the bezel can be used to time activities such as running or hiking.

4. Can a rotating bezel be used to measure more than just time?

Yes, some rotating bezels are also equipped with other features such as a tachymeter, which can be used to measure speed, or a telemeter, which can be used to measure distance. These additional features are often found on chronograph watches and can be useful in a variety of applications.

5. How do I authenticate a watch with a rotating bezel?

To authenticate a watch with a rotating bezel, you can start by examining the quality and precision of the bezel. Look for any imperfections or irregularities in the markings, as well as the smoothness of the rotation. You can also research the specific brand and model of the watch to ensure it is a legitimate product. If purchasing from a retailer, be sure to ask for authentication documents or certificates.