Which computer case should I choose for a microATX motherboard?

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the person is thinking about buying a new system and they are considering two different cases- an InWin or AOpen housing. The person is leaning towards the AOpen case because it is less than 4 inches thick and normal PCI cards should fit. They have a Dell Dimension 4550 motherboard that is MicroATX.
exequor
I am going to build a new system but I want to go with a desktop case that uses a microATX motherboard. Currently I am thinking about going with an InWin or AOpen case:
http://usa.aopen.com/products/Housing/H340.series.htm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811130155#DetailSpecs
or:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811108347

It is not just a matter of these two cases but whether or not I should go with a case that is less than 4" like the AOpen or the InWin which is more like 5.2" thick. Right now I'm leaning more to the 5.2" case since I believe that normal PCI cards should fit since I don't know whether I need to get special cards for the slimmer cases.

What do you guys think I should go with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
What type of cards do you plan on using? You could probably get the dimensions from the datasheet and then add an inch or two in order to estimate the room you'll need.

The majority of the parts that I am going to use will be from what I already own, and they are for standard sized chasis. My nVidia video card's body is 2.5" but the entire metal strip that fits in the bracket is just under 5" so I'm guess that they would only work on the 5.2" case.

I think I might go with the 5.2" case because it is not that big afterall. I know that I can avoid the PCI issues by simply getting a motherboard with everything included (video, lan, etc.) but I like to have options.

I have a motherboard from Dell Dimension 4550 (E210882). It measures 9.75" X 8.5", would this MB be a microATX or how do I know what kind of MB it is?

Looks to be MicroATX. You can get the specifications here. Dimensions are on page 9.

1. What size computer case do I need?

The size of a computer case will depend on the size of your motherboard. Make sure to check the specifications of your motherboard and choose a case that is compatible with its size. Common sizes for computer cases include Mini-ITX, Micro-ATX, and ATX.

2. What materials should I consider when choosing a computer case?

The most commonly used materials for computer cases are steel, aluminum, and plastic. Steel is durable and provides good protection, but can be heavy. Aluminum is lighter and has better heat dissipation, but can be more expensive. Plastic is the most affordable option, but may not be as sturdy as steel or aluminum.

3. How important is cable management in a computer case?

Cable management is essential for proper airflow and organization within your computer case. It helps to keep your components cool and prevents clutter that can obstruct airflow. Look for cases with built-in cable management features, such as routing holes and tie-down points.

4. What type of cooling system should I consider for my computer case?

The type of cooling system you choose will depend on your needs and budget. Air cooling is the most common and affordable option, using fans to circulate air through the case. Liquid cooling is more expensive but can provide better performance and is often preferred by gamers and overclockers.

5. Are there any other features I should look for in a computer case?

Other features to consider include the number and placement of USB ports, drive bays for storage devices, and the design of the case (e.g. windowed, LED lights). It's also important to make sure the case has enough space for all of your components and any potential upgrades in the future.