Urgent: Finding time of death (without using calculus)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two equations to estimate the time of death of a discovered corpse. The equations involve changes in temperature over time and the teacher only wants an explanation of how they can be used in criminological applications. The variables involved are T1 for the temperature of the corpse, T2 for the temperature of the air, and k1 and k2 as constants related to heat absorption properties.
an_mui
Hey
I need help from this as soon as possible.
My teacher has given me 2 equations and I need to use them to estimate the time of death of a discovered corpse.
1.[tex] \frac {\Delta T_{1}}{\Delta t} = -k_{1}(T_{1} - T_{2}) [/tex]
2.[tex] \frac {\Delta T_{2}}{\Delta t} = -k_{2}(T_{2} - T_{1}) [/tex]
I think since the air temperature remains relatively constant, only equation 1 is needed.
My problems: do i simply solve for delta t? Note: the k value does not matter in this case because we only need to know the physics behind these equations, and are not actually solving a question

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the complete problem statement.

there is no actual problem because my teacher only wants us to explain how the above equations can be used in criminological applications to estimate the time of death of a discovered corpse. But I really don't know what we are solving for in this case. I tried researching on the internet but all the equations given uses calculus. My teacher wants us to use these equations, not differential calculus.

perhaps you can tell use what these quantities are: T1 and T2 and k1 and k2...withot meaning to these variables we can not help you at all...you mention temperature...but which is temperature

TO give you a start on answering your question...anything over dt usually means a change in quantity over time ...for example one can say

dC/dt is a change in concentration over time.

T1 is the temperature of substance 1 (i think that should be the temperature of the corpse), T2 should be the temperature of the air. k1 and k2 are constants which depend on the heat absoprtion propertiies of the substances.

What is the purpose of finding time of death?

Finding the time of death is important in criminal investigations, as it can help determine the sequence of events leading up to the death and potentially identify suspects. It can also provide closure for the loved ones of the deceased.

How can time of death be determined without using calculus?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the time of death without using calculus. These include rigor mortis (the stiffening of the body after death), livor mortis (the settling of blood in the lowest parts of the body), and body temperature.

What factors can affect the accuracy of determining time of death?

The accuracy of determining time of death can be affected by factors such as the ambient temperature, the condition of the body, and any injuries or illnesses the deceased may have had.

How long after death can time of death still be determined?

The time of death can usually be determined up to approximately 36 hours after death, although this may vary depending on the environmental conditions and the specific method used to determine time of death.

Is determining time of death an exact science?

No, determining time of death is not an exact science. It is an estimation based on various factors and can only provide an approximate time of death. It is important to consider the margin of error and other potential factors that may affect the accuracy of the estimation.