Can the Infinite Square Well Strategy Be Applied to Find Expansion Coefficients?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the expansion coefficients (cn) in terms of pi for a particle in an infinite square well of width a. The first part of the conversation discusses the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian. Then, the conversation moves on to finding a general expression for the cn using Fourier series. The person doing the work in the conversation uses integration by parts to solve the problem, but is unsure if it is the correct method. However, they later realize that the a's will cancel out, making their method correct. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help and summarizing the main points discussed.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need a little help with the strategy on this question. My work is below the problem description.

A particle of mass m is in an infinite square well of width a (it goes from x = 0 to x = a). The eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian are known to be:

[tex] \psi_{n}(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right) [/tex]

The corresponding eigenvalues are:

[tex] E_n = \frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2} [/tex]

At time t = 0, the particle has wave function [itex] \Psi(x,0) = Ax(a-x) [/itex] where [itex] A = (30/a^5)^{1/2} [/itex].

a) [itex] \Psi(x,0) [/itex] can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. Let us use the symbol cn to denote the expansion coefficients. Obtain a general expression for the cn in terms of [itex] \pi [/itex].

Here is my work so far. Based on what we know of Fourier series,

[tex] c_n = \int{\psi_n^*(x) \Psi(x,0)\, dx} = \sqrt\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt\frac{30}{a^5}} \int_0^a{\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)(ax - x^2)\, dx} [/tex]

[tex] = \sqrt\frac{60}{a^4}} \int_0^a{x\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)\, dx}\, - \, \sqrt\frac{60}{a^6}} \int_0^a{x^2\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)\, dx} [/tex]

...and now I have to integrate by parts. Is this the correct method? The reason I hesitate is that it looks like the final answer will not be only in terms of pi. There will still be some a's left, surely! Yet, the next part asks me to calculate c1, c2, and c3 to seven significant figures! This isn't looking good...I must be missing something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Change the integration variable to z=ax. Then the constant a will drop out.

cepheid said:
I need a little help with the strategy on this question. My work is below the problem description.

A particle of mass m is in an infinite square well of width a (it goes from x = 0 to x = a). The eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian are known to be:

[tex] \psi_{n}(x) = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right) [/tex]

The corresponding eigenvalues are:

[tex] E_n = \frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2} [/tex]

At time t = 0, the particle has wave function [itex] \Psi(x,0) = Ax(a-x) [/itex] where [itex] A = (30/a^5)^{1/2} [/itex].

a) [itex] \Psi(x,0) [/itex] can be written as a linear combination of the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian. Let us use the symbol cn to denote the expansion coefficients. Obtain a general expression for the cn in terms of [itex] \pi [/itex].

Here is my work so far. Based on what we know of Fourier series,

[tex] c_n = \int{\psi_n^*(x) \Psi(x,0)\, dx} = \sqrt\frac{2}{a}}\sqrt\frac{30}{a^5}} \int_0^a{\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)(ax - x^2)\, dx} [/tex]

[tex] = \sqrt\frac{60}{a^4}} \int_0^a{x\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)\, dx}\, - \, \sqrt\frac{60}{a^6}} \int_0^a{x^2\sin\left(\frac{n \pi}{a}x}\right)\, dx} [/tex]

...and now I have to integrate by parts. Is this the correct method? The reason I hesitate is that it looks like the final answer will not be only in terms of pi. There will still be some a's left, surely! Yet, the next part asks me to calculate c1, c2, and c3 to seven significant figures! This isn't looking good...I must be missing something.

You are doing it perfectly correctly. Your answer will not contain "a" (it should not since the c_n are dimensionless constants!). You can easily see this by simply looking at the dimension of your integrands. The first has dimension of length squared and the second of length cube, so that wll cancel the factors of a in the normalization constants. As the other poster said, to see this, just change your variable of integration to z=x/a then you will see the a disappearing completely (don`t forget to change your limits of integration too ;-) )

Hope this helps

Pat

You're right. I should have said z=x/a.

I integrated without changing any variables and found that the a's did indeed drop out. Thanks for your help. I just needed to keep going on this question.

1. What is an Infinite Square Well strategy?

An Infinite Square Well strategy is a theoretical model used in physics and mathematics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within an infinitely deep potential well. In this model, the particle is assumed to have no potential energy outside of the well and is free to move within the boundaries of the well.

2. How is an Infinite Square Well strategy used in scientific research?

An Infinite Square Well strategy is used in various research fields, such as quantum mechanics and condensed matter physics, to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It can also be applied to studying the properties of electrons in atoms and the behavior of photons in optical cavities.

3. What are the assumptions made in an Infinite Square Well strategy?

The main assumptions made in an Infinite Square Well strategy are that the potential well is infinitely deep, the walls of the well are infinitely high, and the particle has no potential energy outside of the well. Additionally, the particle is assumed to have no interactions with other particles or external forces.

4. What are the limitations of an Infinite Square Well strategy?

An Infinite Square Well strategy is a simplified model and does not accurately represent real-world systems. It assumes that the walls of the well are infinitely high, which is not physically possible, and does not take into account the effects of external forces or interactions with other particles. Furthermore, it only applies to particles in one-dimensional motion.

5. How does the solution to the Infinite Square Well problem provide insight into quantum mechanics?

The solution to the Infinite Square Well problem, also known as the Schrödinger equation, provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It helps to explain the concept of wave-particle duality and the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles do not have definite positions or velocities, but rather exist as waves of probability within the potential well.