Simple Tangential Acceleration Problem

In summary, the problem is about a uniform rod of length L and mass M being released from rest in a horizontal position, with the moment of inertia about one end being I = (mL^2)/3. The initial tangential acceleration of the far end A is being sought, and the conversation involves using torque and equating it to the moment of inertia. The correct answer is 3g/2, as opposed to 3g, due to the fact that in T=rF, the radius refers to 1/2 the length of the rod. The conversation also touches on the concept of center of mass and gravitational force. The student has another question about apparent weight on a vertical circular loop of a roller coaster, where
EbolaPox
Problem:
A uniform rod of length L and mass M is pivoted at one end (O) and is released from rest in a horizontal position. The moment of inertia of the rod about one end is I = (mL^2)/3 . The initial tangential acceleration fo the far end A of the rod would be?

This is part of my review for my AP Physics C test. I thought first maybe I could use torque in some way

T= rF = LMg
And [tex] T[/tex] [tex]= I \alpha [/tex]

So, I equated the torque statements thus having

[tex] LMg [/tex][tex] = (1/3)(ML^2)(\alpha) [/tex]

This lead me to the result of 3g/L = [tex] \alpha [/tex]
and by the identity [tex] a = r \alpha [/tex] I got 3g = acceleration. This is not the right answer. The correct answer is 3g/2, as opposed to my 3g. Where did the 1/2 come from? Thanks!

Wait...I think I figured it out...is it hte fact that in T = rF, the r is referring to 1/2 the Length, not the full length?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the gravitational force always acts on the center of mass of an object. In this case, since the rod is of uniform mass density, the center of mass is also the center of the rod.

Excellent. Thank you very much!

However, I have one more pesky question that I actually am not too sure how to work. Any advice would be helpful.

A 800 Newton student has an apparent weight of 600 Newtons at the top of a vertical circular loop of a roller coaster. The car has a uniform speed v and is upside dwn inside the circular path of the roller coaster. The apparent weight of the student when the car is at the lowest point would be...

I attempted to draw myself a diagram. I said the centripetal force would be pointing towards the center, the weight would be pointing downwards, but wasn't too sure how the "weight the student feels" would be doing. I assumed downwards in direction also, but I don't know. (Note: this is me analyzing when the kid is at the top of the roller coaster, just so I can familiarize myself with the situation.)

Any advice or help would be kindly appreciated!

By "apparent weight" they mean what a scale that the student was sitting on would read. So gravity is pulling the student down with a force of 800N but the net force on him (due to gravity and the acceleration of the roller coaster) is 600N into his seat (i.e. straight up).

What is Tangential Acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the direction of motion.

How is Tangential Acceleration Calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = r * alpha, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular motion, and alpha is the angular acceleration.

What Units is Tangential Acceleration Measured In?

Tangential acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

What is a Simple Tangential Acceleration Problem?

A simple tangential acceleration problem involves finding the tangential acceleration of an object moving in a circular path with a known radius and angular acceleration.

What Are Some Real-World Applications of Tangential Acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is important in understanding the motion of objects in circular paths, such as the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a car around a curve, and the motion of a roller coaster on a loop. It is also used in engineering and design for developing machines and tools that require circular motion.