Will Cast Iron dissolve in dil. or conc. acid?

In summary: Since both conc. and dil. H2SO4 will produce FeSO4 (aq) which is what your aiming for, you might as well use dilute since you will not have to deal with the Sulfur Dioxide gas being produced in the reaction.
dfx
Hi,
I have searched rigorously for a solution to this problem but I seem to get inconclusive answers. I want to find the percentage purity of iron in cast iron and the best way to go about this is a redox titration. The first step is to reduce the Iron to Fe2+ . I intend to do this by reacting it with Sulphuric Acid and forming FeSO4. The only thing is, will cast iron react with dilute sulphuric acid (<1M) or does it require concentrated acid (>1M)? I know with conc. acid the resulting products are FeSO4 + SO2 + H2O and just FeSO4 + H2 with dilute acid. Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The first step is to reduce the Iron to Fe2+
Well, technically, that would be Oxidation to Fe+2.
LEO GER Loose Electrons Oxidation, Gain Electrons Reduction.

Cast Iron should react with both concentrated and dilute Sulfuric acid to produce an aqueous solution of Iron (II) Sulfate.
Since both conc. and dil. H2SO4 will produce FeSO4 (aq) which is what your aiming for, you might as well use dilute since you will not have to deal with the Sulfur Dioxide gas being produced in the reaction.

I would rather try to dissolve iron in HCl, avoiding oxidation at all. Even then Fe2+ solutions tend to get oxidized with air oxygen so just before titration you should add some SnCl2 to reduce Fe3+ to Fe2+, then some HgCl2 to remove excess Sn2+:

SnCl2 + 2HgCl2 -> SnCl4 + Hg2Cl2

(note Hg2Cl2 is weakly soluble and doesn't interfere during manganometric titration).

Check details in some handook, I am sure Vogel should list some methods.

Borek said:
I would rather try to dissolve iron in HCl, avoiding oxidation at all. Even then Fe2+ solutions tend to get oxidized with air oxygen so just before titration you should add some SnCl2 to reduce Fe3+ to Fe2+, then some HgCl2 to remove excess Sn2+:

SnCl2 + 2HgCl2 -> SnCl4 + Hg2Cl2

(note Hg2Cl2 is weakly soluble and doesn't interfere during manganometric titration).

[/url]

Hello, thank you for your reply. That is a great addition which will score valuable marks. My only problem with using HCl is that after oxidation to Fe2+ I intend to titrate against MnO4- thus oxidizing further to Fe3+. Won't Cl- from the HCl interfere as it is a reducing agent?

mrjeffy321 said:
Well, technically, that would be Oxidation to Fe+2.
LEO GER Loose Electrons Oxidation, Gain Electrons Reduction.

Cast Iron should react with both concentrated and dilute Sulfuric acid to produce an aqueous solution of Iron (II) Sulfate.
Since both conc. and dil. H2SO4 will produce FeSO4 (aq) which is what your aiming for, you might as well use dilute since you will not have to deal with the Sulfur Dioxide gas being produced in the reaction.

Ah yes my bad it is oxidizing.. posted in a hurry! Thank you very much I'm glad that's sorted. What about the impurities in cast iron will they also dissolve in dilute acid?

1. Will cast iron dissolve in dilute acid?

No, cast iron will not dissolve in dilute acid due to its chemical composition. Cast iron is primarily made of iron and carbon, which are relatively unreactive with acids. However, prolonged exposure to dilute acid may cause some minor surface corrosion on the cast iron.

2. Can concentrated acid dissolve cast iron?

Yes, concentrated acid can dissolve cast iron. Concentrated acids, such as hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid, are strong enough to break down the iron-carbon bonds in cast iron and dissolve it completely. This process is known as acid etching.

3. What happens when cast iron is exposed to acid?

When cast iron is exposed to acid, it undergoes a chemical reaction where the iron and carbon are oxidized, releasing hydrogen gas. This reaction can cause the surface of the cast iron to corrode or dissolve, depending on the concentration and strength of the acid.

4. How long does it take for acid to dissolve cast iron?

The time it takes for acid to dissolve cast iron depends on the concentration of the acid and the thickness of the cast iron. Stronger acids and thinner cast iron will dissolve more quickly. For example, a concentrated solution of sulfuric acid can dissolve cast iron within minutes.

5. Is it safe to use acid to clean cast iron?

No, it is not safe to use acid to clean cast iron. While acid can remove rust and other buildup on the surface of cast iron, it can also cause the iron to corrode and weaken. It is best to use a mild detergent and gentle scrubbing to clean cast iron instead of using acid.