Another Court Recognizes Site Owners Aren't Liable For Site Comments

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, Smurf and I and I think honestrosewater. Not sure if it was her though. Must have been back in late-mid 04 I think. So, do you think mods can get sued for not doing their job?In summary, it seems that even though website owners claim that their forum is moderated, if something slips through, the blame falls on the person who posted the content, not the website owner.
scott1
It happens all too often that some website owner in the US is sued with claims of libel over comments on that site in an open forum. We usually point to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, and note that it's pretty clear that service providers of such forums are not liable for content they didn't write themselves. We also like to point to a 9th Circuit ruling, noting that, even when
http://techdirt.com/articles/20060606/0323235.shtml
So does that mean mods can not to do there job and not get sued on PF?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Link please.

I put the link in

scott1 said:
So does that mean mods can not to do there job and not get sued on PF?:biggrin:
It seems to say that even though we claim the site is moderated, if something slips through, it's still the fault of the person making the post, not us, at least in terms of libel.

Moonbear said:
It seems to say that even though we claim the site is moderated, if something slips through, it's still the fault of the person making the post, not us, at least in terms of libel.

Sounds pretty no-duhish to me :smile:

Pengwuino said:
Sounds pretty no-duhish to me :smile:

Well, you'd say that about patent law too now wouldn't you...

franznietzsche said:
Well, you'd say that about patent law too now wouldn't you...

:grumpy: you're on my cyrus list now

Pengwuino said:

What did I do?

I was just pointing out that patent law sucks.

So now that you two are both together again at this late hour, why aren't you plotting to take over the world?

Moonbear said:
So now that you two are both together again at this late hour, why aren't you plotting to take over the world?
That was Smurf and I, not Pengwuino.

Wow, that must have been more than a year ago.

Smurf? I thought he married that one dude from toronto and moved to the north pole

franznietzsche said:
That was Smurf and I, not Pengwuino.

Wow, that must have been more than a year ago.
I think it's been more than a year ago...that's why I can't remember who you got into trouble with around here...you guys are getting all grown up. :cry:

Pengwuino said:

Keep talking, I'll have the guys at work send at Tomahawk Cruise missile through your window.

Aww, there goes you and your house. Poof, gone.

tomahawk_explosion_photo.jpg

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I think it's been more than a year ago...that's why I can't remember who you got into trouble with around here...you guys are getting all grown up. :cry:

Yeah, Smurf and I and I think honestrosewater. Not sure if it was her though. Must have been back in late-mid 04 I think.

Gosh, I feel sad, when I think how long ago some of that stuff was. 3 years ago, 2 years ago. Its really sad.

What does "Another Court Recognizes Site Owners Aren't Liable For Site Comments" mean?

"Another Court Recognizes Site Owners Aren't Liable For Site Comments" means that a court has made a ruling stating that website owners cannot be held responsible for comments made by users on their site. This ruling is based on the idea that website owners are not responsible for the actions of their users and should not be held liable for any potentially defamatory or harmful comments made by these users.

Why is this ruling important?

This ruling is important because it establishes a precedent for website owners not being held accountable for user-generated content on their site. This can protect website owners from potential legal issues and financial burdens that may arise from comments made by users.

Does this mean that website owners have no responsibility for the content on their site?

No, website owners can still be held responsible for the content they post on their site or for any content they have control over. This ruling specifically applies to user-generated content, meaning content that is created and posted by users of the website.

What factors are considered in determining whether website owners are liable for site comments?

The court may consider factors such as the website's terms of use and policies regarding user-generated content, the website owner's control over the comments and ability to remove them, and whether the owner has previously been involved in similar legal disputes regarding user comments.

Does this ruling apply to all types of websites?

This ruling may not apply to all types of websites, as laws and regulations may vary depending on the country and jurisdiction. It is important for website owners to consult with legal counsel to understand their specific responsibilities and liabilities regarding user-generated content on their site.