Protons + Neutrons + Electrons =?

In summary, if you shoot a beam of protons, neutrons, and electrons next to each other, you might be able to produce atoms.
Dominisi
Protons + Neutrons + Electrons =?

This question has been boggling my mind for some time, hopefully some of you can shed some light on the subject. What would happen if one were to shoot a beam of Protons, a beam of neutrons, and a beam of electrons next to each other? I've made a little diagram below to kind of explain what I'm talking about.

Electrons ----------------------------------------------------
Neutrons -----------------------------------------------------
Protons ------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you expect something special to happen? The question seems a bit random so maby I don't quite understand your idea?

The electrons and protons would attract each other if they are close enough so the lines would maby converge. The neutrons would continue straight ahead unless they collide with the converging protons.

The electrons and protons will attact one another but as the electrons are much lighter, they will move most of the distance. Therefore, the protons will still have a relatively streight path of movement

And what would be the final result? Would you get atoms?

I all depends on how close the beams are and how energetic they are: extremely close beams might produce atoms -- nucleii+elctrons -- generally speaking, the interactions between the three particles are very complex: neutrons have electrical properties, like magnetic moments, neutrons and protons interact primarily through the strong interactions -- like pion exchange -- which can be attractive or negative depending on the spin states -- so the possibiities are endless, including the production of other particles as well as photons. It's also well known to theorists that solving the three body scattering process is at best extraordinarily difficult. If you specify the details of your proposed experiment, energy, location of wave packets, spin states,and so forth, you could make some progress, maybe.

Regards,
reilly Atkinson

Im not too sure on this but if a proton and a electron combine, do they become a neutron like the opposite of beta decay? if so, the result would be two neutron streams which, if close enough will combine into one due to their gravitational pull on one another.

Yes, an electron and a proton can combine to form a neutron and a neutrino, but not very often -- low,low probability. I suspect that the probability is much higher for an electron and a proton to form a hydrogen atom. The devil is in the details.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

1. What are protons, neutrons, and electrons?

Protons, neutrons, and electrons are subatomic particles that make up atoms. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge.

2. How many protons, neutrons, and electrons are in an atom?

The number of protons and neutrons in an atom can vary, but the number of electrons is always equal to the number of protons in a neutral atom. This number is called the atomic number and can be found on the periodic table.

3. What is the role of protons, neutrons, and electrons in an atom?

Protons and neutrons make up the nucleus of an atom, while electrons orbit around the nucleus. Protons and neutrons are responsible for the mass of the atom, while electrons are responsible for the atom's chemical properties.

4. What happens when an atom gains or loses protons, neutrons, or electrons?

When an atom gains or loses protons, it becomes a different element. When it gains or loses neutrons, it becomes an isotope of the same element. When it gains or loses electrons, it becomes an ion with a positive or negative charge.

5. How do protons, neutrons, and electrons interact with each other?

Protons and neutrons interact with each other through the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus together. Electrons interact with protons through the electromagnetic force, which keeps the electrons in orbit around the nucleus.