Help with Confusing Fluid Problem: Filling a Pool

• Thread starter mindhater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 5/8 inch diameter hose filling a round swimming pool with a diameter of 7.2 m and a depth of 44 inches. The person is unsure of which formulas to use and how to manipulate the problem, but it is determined that it is a mass continuity problem and the volume per second leaving the hose is the same as the volume required to fill the pool to 44 inches deep.
mindhater
hi i have a problem that i am confused with and i need some help or at least a place to start

The problem states:

A 5/8 inch diameter hose is used to fill a round swimming pool 7.2 m in diameter. How long will it take to fill the pool to a depth of 44 inches if the water issues from the hose at a speed of .28 m/s?

i know it's a fluid problem, but i have no idea which formulas to use or how to manipulate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a mass continuity problem. The volume of water coming out of the pipe is the same as the volume of water entering the swimming pool.

Calculate the volume per second leaving the hose. Calculate the volume required to fill the swimming pool to 44 inches deep. Divide.

- Warren

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your confusing fluid problem. I can understand how the question may seem overwhelming at first, but with some guidance, I'm sure you will be able to solve it.

Firstly, let's break down the information given in the problem. We have a 5/8 inch diameter hose, a round swimming pool with a diameter of 7.2 m, and a desired depth of 44 inches. We also know that the water is flowing out of the hose at a speed of 0.28 m/s.

To solve this problem, we will need to use the formula for volume of a cylinder (V=πr^2h) and the formula for flow rate (Q=Av). Let's start by converting all the measurements to the same unit - meters.

5/8 inch is equivalent to 0.015875 meters (to convert inches to meters, divide by 39.37).

The diameter of the pool is 7.2 m, so the radius (r) will be half of that, which is 3.6 m.

The desired depth of 44 inches is equivalent to 1.118 meters (to convert inches to meters, divide by 39.37).

Now, we can plug these values into the formula for volume of a cylinder:

V=π(3.6)^2(1.118)

V=45.81 m^3

Next, we will use the formula for flow rate to find out how much water is coming out of the hose per second:

Q=0.015875 * 0.28

Q=0.00445 m^3/s

To find out how long it will take to fill the pool, we need to divide the volume of the pool by the flow rate:

45.81/0.00445=10,317.98 seconds

Since we want the time in minutes, we can divide this by 60:

10,317.98/60= 171.97 minutes

Therefore, it will take approximately 172 minutes to fill the pool to a depth of 44 inches using a 5/8 inch diameter hose with a water speed of 0.28 m/s.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and gives you a place to start. Remember to always write down the given information and identify the formulas you need to use before attempting to solve the problem. Good luck!

1. How do I calculate the volume of my pool?

To calculate the volume of your pool, you will need to know the length, width, and average depth of the pool. The formula for calculating volume is length x width x average depth. If your pool has varying depths, you can break it into sections and calculate the volume for each section separately.

2. How much water do I need to fill my pool?

The amount of water you need to fill your pool will depend on the volume of your pool. To calculate the amount of water needed, you can multiply the volume by the conversion factor for your pool's units of measurement (e.g. cubic feet to gallons). It may also be helpful to add an extra 10% to account for spillage and displacement.

3. How long will it take to fill my pool?

The time it takes to fill your pool will depend on the flow rate of your water source. To calculate the flow rate, you can use a flowmeter or time how long it takes to fill a known volume (e.g. a bucket) and then divide the volume by the time. Once you know the flow rate, you can divide the volume of your pool by the flow rate to estimate the time it will take to fill.

4. How do I know if my pool is leaking?

If you suspect your pool is leaking, there are a few steps you can take to determine if this is the case. First, you can perform a bucket test by filling a bucket with pool water and placing it on the pool steps. Mark the water level on the inside and outside of the bucket and compare them after 24 hours. If the pool water level has gone down more than the bucket water level, there may be a leak. You can also check for any visible cracks or tears in the pool liner or inspect the pool's equipment for any leaks.

5. How do I maintain the proper water level in my pool?

The water level in your pool can fluctuate due to evaporation, splashing, and backwashing. To maintain the proper water level, you can use a hose to add water to the pool or use a submersible pump to remove excess water. It is important to regularly check and adjust the water level to ensure proper filtration and chemical balance in your pool.