Solve Confusing Problem: Find w2 & a

• Thread starter n_ds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the leg in traction is supported by two weights attached to stingers so that there is no pressure on the hip joint.
n_ds
Hi,

I did this question one way and realized my answer was totally wrong. Was wondering if anyone knew a possible solution for this problem.

1. The leg is in the cast in the diagram shown below weight 220N(w1). The leg is held in traction by two weights (w2 and w3) attached to stings and applied as shown in order that there be no force exerted on the hip joint J by the leg in the cast. (In other words, the leg is in translational equilibrium). Weight W3 is 110 N. Calculate the numerical values of w2 and the angle a.

I am sorry the drawing looks so bad but that was the best I could do using paint.

Thanks

Attachments

• physics problem.JPG
    physics problem.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Despite the fact that this is a leg in traction, this problem is solved exactly as if it were a sign hanging from two cables. You have two unknowns, so you need two equations. One comes from balancing the horizontal components of the three forces, the other from balancing the vertical componants.

im not sure what that means...could you please explain what u just posted

n_ds said:
im not sure what that means...could you please explain what u just posted
He is saying that you could cut the leg off the body and the problem would not change. The entire weight of the leg is being supported by the two strings. Notice that in the diagram the point where the strings are attached and where the weight of the leg is acting are the same. This point is the center of mass of the leg. This is necessary so that the leg has no tendency to either rotate or translate. Either of those would put pressure on the hip joint.

Don't worry about the fact that the object being supported is a leg. Replace it with a block of weight Wl hanging from another string connected at the ppint of intersaection and it will be exactly the same problem as far as the two upper stings are concerned.

nice drawing...

1. What is the first step in solving a confusing problem?

The first step in solving a confusing problem is to carefully read and understand the problem statement. This will help you identify what information is given and what is being asked for.

2. How can I find w2 and a in a confusing problem?

To find w2 and a, you will need to use the information given in the problem and apply relevant equations or formulas. It may also be helpful to draw diagrams or create a table to organize the information.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while trying to solve a confusing problem?

If you get stuck, take a step back and try to understand the problem in a different way. You can also try breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. If needed, seek help from a classmate or teacher.

4. How do I know if my solution for w2 and a is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original problem and seeing if it satisfies all the given information. You can also use estimation or use an online calculator to check your work.

5. What are some strategies for solving confusing problems more efficiently?

Some strategies for solving confusing problems more efficiently include breaking the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids such as diagrams or tables, and practicing with similar problems to build problem-solving skills.