What is the acceleration of the center of mass of the rolling hollow sphere?

In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the spherical shell on a slope with a 40.0 degree angle with the horizontal is (3gsin(theta))/5. To solve this, we used Newton's 2nd law and the concept of inertia to calculate the normal reaction force and the friction force. By substituting these into the equations, we were able to solve for the acceleration of the center of mass. The radius of the spherical shell was not needed for this calculation.
chrismcr
A hollow spherical shell with mass 1.50kg rolls without slipping down a slope that makes an angle of 40.0degree angle with the horizontal.
-Find the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the spherical shell

I am really confused on how to go about this problem. I know it has to do with inertia, but wow, i just don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
U used the term 'rolls without slipping'. I thought of using rotational mechanics to solve it but u are not given the radius of the spherical shell. Thus, i shall treat it like a case of linear motion down the slope. Resolving forces and applying Newton's 2nd law on the shell, we have Normal reaction force = mg cos 40 and mg sin 40 = ma. Thus a = g sin 40 = 9.8 sin 40. If u want to find angular acceleration of the shell, u need to have the shell's radius and use the relation, linear acceleration = spherical radius x angular acceleration.

No, you don't need the radius for this one. This is a hollow shell and it's moment of inertia is 2/3mr^2 = I
Fy = 0
Fx = mgsin(theta) - f = ma_cm

I get from Fx=mgsin(theta)-f=ma_cm (1)
and fR = 2/3mra_cm (2)

Solve f from (1).
Substitute that into (2) and then solve for a_cm

I get a_cm = (3gsin(theta))/5

1. What is a rolling hollow sphere?

A rolling hollow sphere is a three-dimensional object that is shaped like a ball with a hollow center. It can roll along a flat surface due to its circular shape and is often used in physics experiments and demonstrations.

2. How does a rolling hollow sphere differ from a solid sphere?

A rolling hollow sphere and a solid sphere have the same shape and size, but the main difference is the presence of a hollow center in the rolling hollow sphere. This hollow center affects its mass, moment of inertia, and other physical properties.

3. What are some real-life applications of a rolling hollow sphere?

A rolling hollow sphere can be used in various real-life applications, such as in ball bearings, sports equipment (e.g. golf balls), and toys (e.g. marbles). It is also commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as rotational motion and moment of inertia.

4. How does the mass distribution affect the rolling of a hollow sphere?

The mass distribution of a hollow sphere plays a significant role in its rolling motion. If the mass is evenly distributed, the sphere will roll smoothly and evenly. However, if the mass is concentrated on one side, it will cause the sphere to roll in that direction, leading to an uneven and unstable motion.

5. What factors affect the rolling speed of a hollow sphere?

The rolling speed of a hollow sphere is affected by several factors, including the mass distribution, moment of inertia, surface friction, and the angle of the surface it is rolling on. Additionally, the initial force or energy applied to the sphere will also impact its rolling speed.