Hollow Cavity within a charged sphere

In summary, to find the electric field at the surface of the sphere, you can use Gauss' Law and treat the cavity as if it doesn't exist. Then, to find the electric field inside the cavity, you can use the same method and treat the cavity as a negative charge. This will result in a negative field, but it will still provide the correct solution.
Lancen
Suppose I had a uniformly charged sphere of some density, inside this sphere at some position there is a cavity of some radius. If I wanted to then find the Electric field somewhere, like say the surface of the sphere, how would I approach the problem?

Heres what I did. I pretended the cavity didn't exist and using Gauss' Law found the electric field at the surface of the sphere to be p*R/3*e, where p is charge density, R is the radius of the sphere and e is the electrical permittivity. Then I found the electric field for the cavity which has a radius of R/2 and is located in such a way that the distance from its center to the surface of the charged sphere is 3/2*R. and that was 4.5*(p)*R/e. Thats where I am stuck. As I was doing this I thought I could treat this like those moment of inertia problems where you have a piece of a wheel or something missing and you just treat that piece as negative mass. But then when I went to do this, I realized all I would be doing if I subtracted the field off off the cavity would be adding a negative field. Also, if it is just a cavity is there even a field inside it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there will be an electric field inside the cavity. The electric field inside a cavity in a uniformly charged sphere is just the same as the electric field outside the sphere, and can be calculated using Gauss' Law.

Your approach to finding the electric field at the surface of the charged sphere is correct. However, when considering the electric field within the cavity, you would need to take into account the electric field contributions from both the charged sphere and the cavity itself. This can be done using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields from each source.

In this case, the electric field inside the cavity would be the vector sum of the electric field from the charged sphere and the electric field from the cavity itself. Since the cavity has no charge, its electric field would be zero. Therefore, the total electric field inside the cavity would be the same as the electric field from the charged sphere alone.

As for your comparison to moment of inertia problems, it is not accurate to treat the cavity as having negative charge. In this case, the cavity is simply a void within the charged sphere and does not have any charge itself. Therefore, subtracting the field from the cavity would not result in adding a negative field, but rather in removing the contribution from the cavity altogether.

In summary, to find the electric field at the surface of the sphere, you can use Gauss' Law as you did. To find the electric field inside the cavity, you would need to consider the electric field contributions from both the charged sphere and the cavity itself using the principle of superposition.

1. What is a "Hollow Cavity" within a charged sphere?

A hollow cavity within a charged sphere is an empty space or void inside a sphere that has a net electric charge. This cavity can either be a hollowed out section within the sphere or a completely enclosed space, depending on the structure of the sphere.

2. How does a hollow cavity within a charged sphere affect the electric field inside the sphere?

A hollow cavity within a charged sphere causes the electric field inside the sphere to be non-uniform. This means that the strength of the electric field will vary at different points within the sphere, depending on the location of the cavity. The presence of the cavity creates regions of higher and lower electric field strength within the sphere.

3. Can a hollow cavity within a charged sphere affect the overall charge of the sphere?

Yes, a hollow cavity within a charged sphere can affect the overall charge of the sphere. If the cavity is completely enclosed and isolated from the rest of the sphere, the net charge of the sphere will be reduced. This is because the charge within the cavity creates an opposing electric field that cancels out some of the charge on the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the size and shape of a hollow cavity within a charged sphere impact its electric field?

The size and shape of a hollow cavity within a charged sphere have a significant impact on the electric field inside the sphere. A larger cavity will result in a more distorted and non-uniform electric field, while a smaller cavity will have less of an effect. Additionally, the shape of the cavity can also affect the electric field, with more irregular shapes causing more distortion.

5. What are some real-world applications of a hollow cavity within a charged sphere?

Hollow cavities within charged spheres have practical applications in various fields such as electrostatics, optics, and material science. For example, they can be used in particle accelerators to manipulate and control the path of charged particles. They are also used in electronic devices such as capacitors to store and control electric charge. Additionally, they are used in optical devices such as microscopes and telescopes to manipulate light and improve imaging quality.