Is It Justified to Prove divA=0 for Vector Potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ethical implications of proving divA=0 for the magnetic vector potential, specifically using the integral equation [1/4 pi]int{J dV/|r-r'|}. The method for proving this is by taking div inside the integral, changing it to div', and using the divergence theorem. There is also mention of a professor's argument for localized current distributions and gauge transformations. The conversation concludes with the question of the justification for proving divA=0.
Kolahal Bhattacharya
Is it at all ethical to prove divA=0 here A is the magnetic vector potential?
That is, curlA=B?
Griffiths goes through a systematic development to show that we may make sure that div A=0 to make life easy.But in our exam the question appeared assuming the vector potential's form:[1/4 pi]int{J dV/|r-r'|},prove that divA=0.Is it justified?Howeevr,I know there is another method to reach the form of vector potential where an additional term (grad phi) appears.And we make it zero.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kolahal Bhattacharya said:
Is it at all ethical to prove divA=0 here A is the magnetic vector potential?
That is, curlA=B?
Griffiths goes through a systematic development to show that we may make sure that div A=0 to make life easy.But in our exam the question appeared assuming the vector potential's form:[1/4 pi]int{J dV/|r-r'|},prove that divA=0.Is it justified?Howeevr,I know there is another method to reach the form of vector potential where an additional term (grad phi) appears.And we make it zero.Please help.
You show that div A=0 for that specific integral by
1. Take div inide the integral.
2. Change div to div'.
3. Integrate by parts, using the divergence theorem.
4. The surface lntegral -->0, and use div j=0.
It is an ethical question.

Yes!I want to know the ethics.
Another thing I want to mention.Our professor showed that way in you did.He argued that for localized current distribution the closed surface integral {[(1/|r-r'|)J(r')] dV']=0 over a surface at infinity...
Why to take so much task? once you enter the div inside the integral,apply divergence theorem at once.The same surface integral you are referring to results.

Except you're taking the divergence in unprimed coordinates, while integrating over primed coordinates, so you can't just apply the divergence theorem that quickly.

That's right.But that retards me just a little.I will make div=-div' and then will
apply divergence theorem directly.That will do.But,what about my original question?
I am asking if I am justified in "proving" divA=0.

Kolahal Bhattacharya said:
That's right.But that retards me just a little.I will make div=-div' and then will
apply divergence theorem directly.That will do.But,what about my original question?
I am asking if I am justified in "proving" divA=0.

Sure. The integral equation you have written down presumes a certain choice of gauge, in this case [tex]\nabla.\mathbf{A} = 0[/tex]. Griffiths discusses gauge transformations to some extent, and you are in particular showing that the vector potential of this form satisfies the Coulomb gauge.

Thank you.It's clear now.

Why can you change div to div'?

What is the concept of "divA=0" in vector potential?

The concept of "divA=0" in vector potential is a mathematical expression that represents the divergence of the vector potential field. It states that the net flow of the vector potential field out of a closed surface is equal to zero, indicating that the field does not have any sources or sinks within that surface.

Why is it important to prove divA=0 for vector potential?

Proving divA=0 for vector potential is important because it is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is essential for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It also helps in solving problems related to electromagnetic fields and is used in various applications such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

What are the methods used to prove divA=0 for vector potential?

The two main methods used to prove divA=0 for vector potential are the vector calculus method and the differential equations method. In the vector calculus method, the divergence theorem is applied to the vector potential field to show that the net flow is equal to zero. In the differential equations method, the Maxwell's equations are used to derive the expression for the vector potential field and it is shown that the divergence is equal to zero.

Are there any real-life examples where divA=0 for vector potential is applied?

Yes, there are many real-life examples where divA=0 for vector potential is applied. One example is the design of electrical circuits, where the vector potential is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. Another example is in the study of electromagnetic waves, where the vector potential is used to calculate the electric and magnetic fields at different points in space.

Is it possible for divA=0 to not hold true for vector potential?

No, it is not possible for divA=0 to not hold true for vector potential. This is because the concept of divA=0 is derived from the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, namely the Maxwell's equations. These equations have been extensively tested and have been found to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. Therefore, divA=0 will always hold true for vector potential in any physical scenario.