How do you get good at proofs?

• Thread starter lordy12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the best way to prepare for exams that involve proofs is to practice a lot. While it's normal to get stuck on a problem for a long time, it's important to keep practicing and seeking help if needed. It's also important to start studying earlier and to understand the techniques and concepts well, rather than just copying them from examples.
lordy12
I just stare at difficult proofs. I truly do not understand induction. Like if I was to prove Fermat's Little Theorem, I wouldn't know where to start. And I have my final exam next week and I don't know how to study since its all proofs. And if you say do a lot of problems , what happens if I'm stuck on one problem for like an hour?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lordy12 said:
And if you say do a lot of problems , what happens if I'm stuck on one problem for like an hour?

The best way is practice! You've got to expect that some work will take a long time, especially the first time you attempt it-- that's why the best way to revise for exams is to do lots of problems. The more you do, the easier they'll become (to an extent)

lordy12 said:
what happens if I'm stuck on one problem for like an hour?

Post your problem on PF. :cool:

dont wait until the week before the test next time.

if the test is next week, the most efficient thing to do is to take your book and read and study all the examples. you will not want to start doing problems from specific sections, and then not study other sections.

Last edited:
yeah, the goal for me is to get above 50%. After the exam is over, when I get home, I genuinely will do a deep study on how to do proofs.

yeah, I am sure you will do fine. the key thing in studying for the exam is to really really study and understand the sections well. Like induction, try to really understand the process. I have known of people who have not done many proofs on paper, but have studied the techniques very very closely. Because they understand the method of induction very well, they can prove just about anything requiring induction. So they key thing is understanding the techniques very well, not looking at a problem, and then copying the technique from an example.

1. How do I improve my logical reasoning skills for proofs?

Improving logical reasoning skills for proofs can be done through practice. Start by familiarizing yourself with different types of logical operations, such as modus ponens and modus tollens. You can also try solving logic puzzles to strengthen your reasoning abilities.

2. What are some tips for constructing clear and concise proofs?

One tip is to start with what you know and work towards what you want to prove. Use clear and precise language, and make sure each step in your proof is justified. Another tip is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. How do I approach a proof if I am stuck?

If you are stuck on a proof, try looking at similar problems or examples to gain insight. You can also try working backwards from what you want to prove or collaborating with others to brainstorm possible approaches.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in proofs include using incorrect logic, making assumptions without justification, and skipping steps. It is also important to be mindful of the language you use and to clearly label each step in your proof.

5. How can I check the validity of my proof?

One way to check the validity of your proof is to try to disprove it. Look for counterexamples or try to find a flaw in your logic. You can also ask a friend or colleague to review your proof and provide feedback. Additionally, double-checking your steps and ensuring they are justified can help validate your proof.