Wireless Cell Phone Charging: The Revolution is Coming!

In summary, this article discusses a wireless charging system that is supposedly about to be 'revolutionized.' The system works by taking normal radio frequencies and using them to charge the cell phone's batteries. However, this idea is not feasible due to the small amount of power that is present in normal radio stations. Additionally, there is the potential for danger if someone were to use this technology in their house.
seang
i read about a month ago that cell phone charging is about to be 'revolutionized.' Apparently, cell phones of the near future will have a wireless charging system where you plug a radio transmitter into the wall, and the cell phone receives the signal and uses it to charge it's batteries.

My question is, why can't you just take pre-existing radio freq/cell freq/etc freq signals out of the air and use them? Sure they're not very powerful signals but how many times have you been in a store when someone next to you makes a phone call. there's got to be some power there! no?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a link? Sounds like an interference-causing waste of energy.

Anyway, no, the amount of power in normal radio stations is pretty small.

I can't see how this is possible, at least with RF.

Sounds like hocus-pocus to me. And no, there's not a chance that you could use the energy used in RF communication to charge your batteries. There are so many problems with that idea that it's almost hard to begin listing them.

- Warren

I heard that some South Americans filled their back yard with a mass of bent wire from which they were able to extract from the atmosphere enough electricity, originating from RF broadcasts, to power their household appliances.

I have no link to offer to support this, but feel free to Google.

The south american thing sounds like a myth. The voltage present in the air due to RF is in the microvolts. To get any usable voltage from this, expecially to power appliances isn't possible.

I did hear it was a very large space filled with a mountain of bent wire. If I remember correctly there was a powerful transmitter(s) located nearby.

I will run a little search on this and post back if I find anything interesting.

The only way I can think that something can charge "wirelessly" would be to inductively couple it, but that's nothing new... just maybe to cell phones. To use RF in a house would be quite dangerous, the power levels necessary to charge anything will give you an RF burn if you got too close to it, ie entered your house.

If anyone is interested in the subject of wireless electrical energy transmission, then I suggest looking at the work of Tesla and more recently the HAARP project. Former HAARP scientist Dr. Nick Begich has produced a lot of material on this and related issues. He also has a weekday radio show.

His website:

Admin note: links to crackpot material are not permitted

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I read the link, I assumed that it was a misinterpretation of an inductive coupling charger as used in electric toothbrushes, but apparently that's not the case. I don't know enough about RF to comment upon how much of it can be transmitted within close range, but it seems to me that it would be dangerous or maybe even illegal as regarding FCC regulations in the US and equivalent agencies in other countries.
As a side note, isn't that the same magazine that reported on some sort of perpetual motion device in Ireland a few months ago?

I guess you mean the steorn free energy project:

If Nick Begich has disscussed that particular project, then it is no somthing I have any memory of. I am not sure what magazine you mean? I have not heard Dr. Begich mention any magazine.

The video presentation, linked to below on Google Video, was made by Nick Begich about 11-years ago. It is called Angels Don't Play This HAARP, and it is based on his book of the same title. It contains information on the HAARP project and some of the issues discussed in this thread, such as transmitting electrical energy by beaming it:

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this thread is unequivocally BS, I'm closing it.

- Warren

1. What is wireless cell phone charging?

Wireless cell phone charging, also known as wireless charging or induction charging, is a technology that allows for the charging of electronic devices without the need for traditional cords or cables. It uses electromagnetic fields to transfer energy between two objects, typically a charging pad or station and a compatible device.

2. How does wireless cell phone charging work?

Wireless cell phone charging works by using electromagnetic induction. This process involves two coils, one in the charging pad and one in the device, that create an alternating magnetic field. This field induces an electric current in the device, which is then converted into direct current to charge the battery.

3. Is wireless charging safe for my phone?

Yes, wireless charging is generally considered safe for cell phones. It uses low power levels and the charging pad automatically stops supplying power once the device is fully charged. However, it is important to use a compatible wireless charger and follow manufacturer recommendations to avoid any potential risks.

4. What types of devices can be charged wirelessly?

Most newer smartphones and devices support wireless charging, including iPhones, Samsung Galaxy phones, and Google Pixel phones. Other devices such as smartwatches, tablets, and even some laptops also have wireless charging capabilities. However, not all devices are compatible, so it is important to check the specifications before attempting to charge wirelessly.

5. Are there any limitations to wireless cell phone charging?

One limitation of wireless cell phone charging is that the device must be in close proximity to the charging pad, typically within a few centimeters. This means that the device cannot be used while charging and must remain on the pad to maintain the connection. Additionally, wireless charging may not be as efficient as traditional wired charging methods and may take longer to fully charge a device.