Understanding the frontier of physics?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you are average or below average in math, you will struggle to understand the mathematics and physics involved. However, if you have some talent for mathematics, you can still learn and understand these things.

How to understand the frontiers of physics related to the GUT?

• Total voters
jostpuur said:
I think the problems have their source in the fact that physicists don't usually know what they are doing with mathematics. When a physicist encounters something difficult that he doesn't understand, instead of improving himself, he distorts the mathematics until it has become easy enough for him.

I would be happy, if the development of theoretical physics in the future started to become more and more a job of mathematicians. Not because I wanted the science to go this way, but because this way I would be right with my opinions.

Agree with the first paragraph. Its not just a problem for academics but also undergrad students. A lot of difficulties in physics seem to be not understanding the maths. The students who ace maths usually are good at the upper level theoretical physics.