Evaluating Functional integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a Gaussian functional integral, specifically an integral of the type e^{-iS_{0}[\phi]+i(J,\phi)}. When J=0, the integral can be described as \frac{c}{(Det(a\partial +b)} with constants a, b, and c. However, when J(x) is not equal to 0, the integral becomes more complicated and involves a functional determinant which is a function of J(x). The conversation also mentions the use of a Fourier transform to simplify the integral. Finally, the conversation touches on the evaluation of the functional determinant, specifically Det(a\partial ^{2} +b) of the operator (a\partial ^{2
Klaus_Hoffmann
HOw can you compute a Gaussian functional integral?

i mean integral of the type [tex] e^{-iS_{0}[\phi]+i(J,\phi)} [/tex]

if J=0 then i believe that we can describe the Functional integral as

[tex] \frac{c}{(Det(a\partial +b)} [/tex] a,b,c constant

so [tex] Det(a\partial +b)}= exp^{-\zeta '(0)} [/tex]

[tex] \zeta (s) = \sum_{1 \le n}\lambda_{n} ^{-s} [/tex]

my problem comes when J(x) is different from 0 so we have a functional determinant which is also a function (functional ?? ) of J(x) , then how could yo evaluate it?, also a Fourier transform of a gaussian is again another Gaussian.

Another question..how can you once you have obtained the functional integral Z[J] expressions of the form

[tex] \frac{ \delta ^{n}Z[J]}{ \delta J(x1) \delta J(x2)...} [/tex]

so you get finite results ??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't except perturbatively. The perturbation expansion is explained in any good book on QFT, try Zee's QFT in a Nutshell for example.

Sorry I see I misread, the trick is to complete the square. You add J^2 - J^2 write the whole thing as (phi + J)^2 and pull the J^2 term out of the integral.

thank you everybody.. f-h hit the correct answer (thankx) however still we have the problem that how could you evaluate the functional Determinant.

[tex] Det( a\partial ^{2} +b) [/tex] of the operator:

[tex] ( a\partial ^{2} +b)(\phi +J(x))[/tex]

1. What is a functional integral?

A functional integral is a mathematical tool used in the field of quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude of a system transitioning between different states.

2. How is a functional integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to calculate the area under a curve, while a functional integral is used to calculate the probability amplitude of a system transitioning between different states. In a functional integral, the integrand is a function instead of a variable, making it more complex and challenging to solve.

3. What is the importance of evaluating functional integrals?

Evaluating functional integrals is essential in quantum field theory as it allows for the calculation of probabilities and expectation values of physical quantities. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

4. How are functional integrals applied in scientific research?

Functional integrals are used in various areas of scientific research, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum field theory. They are used to calculate the properties of physical systems, such as the energy levels of atoms and the behavior of particles in a quantum field.

5. What are some challenges in evaluating functional integrals?

One of the main challenges in evaluating functional integrals is the complexity of the integrands, which often involve complex functions and infinite-dimensional spaces. This requires advanced mathematical techniques and numerical methods to obtain accurate solutions. Additionally, the concept of renormalization, which involves removing infinities from the calculations, can also be challenging to understand and apply.