Muon travelling faster than the speed of light

In summary, the observer concludes that the muon traveled at a speed of 4 * 10^8 m/s which is faster than c.
ehrenfest
A muon is observed to travel 800 meters before disintigrating. The lifetime of a muon is 2 * 10 ^ -6. So the observer concludes that the muon traveled at a speed of

4 * 10^8 m/s which is faster than c.

Why is the observer wrong?

I though it was impossible for anything to travel faster than light in any inertial reference. I don't see how you can get around the fact that the muon moved so far in that amount of time and at least its average velocity was faster than c.

I do not see where you can apply the Lorentz factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key is that that's the muon's lifetime in it's rest frame. Because of time dilation, it will observed to last longer than that when it's traveling close to the speed of light.

The lifetime in which frame?

Besides which the muon lifetime is only a mean lifetime. For a muon to last twice the mean is not a bit unusual. Don't assume all muons last exactly 2x10^(-6) sec. But the answer they are probably after is the one StatusX pointed out.

I see, StatusX. And you're right Dick this is a simplified problem.

So, if I want to calculate the actual speed of the muon, I want to set the rest frame time times the lorentz factor equal to the laboratory frame time. You can solve for v and get v = 2.078 * 10^8, if my calculations are valid.

I get more like 1.98*10^8, but that's close enough.

Dick said:
I get more like 1.98*10^8, but that's close enough.

No. Let's figure this out.

I solved,

t_lab = 2*10^-6/(1- 800^2/(t^2*c^2))
for t to get

t = 3.848 * 10 ^ -6.

I then divided 800 by that.

Where's the sqrt in your gamma factor? Try t_lab=t_rest/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) and solve for v.

Last edited:
Sorry. That's foolish. You don't know t_lab. As you said with some stuff fixed, t=t_rest/sqrt(1-d^2/(t^2*c^2)). But now I get 2.40*10^8 m/s.

Last edited:
I'm getting exactly v = 2.4 * 10^8 m/s

learningphysics said:
I'm getting exactly v = 2.4 * 10^8 m/s

That's a bingo!

Dick said:
Where's the sqrt in your gamma factor? Try t_lab=t_rest/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) and solve for v.

Yes. Adding the square root gets me 2.4 * 10 ^ 8. Thanks.

1. What is a muon?

A muon is a type of subatomic particle that is similar to an electron, but with a larger mass. It is part of the group of particles known as leptons, and is negatively charged.

2. How does a muon travel?

Muons can be produced through various processes, such as cosmic ray interactions or in particle accelerators. They can travel at high speeds, close to the speed of light, and have a short lifetime of only 2.2 microseconds before decaying into other particles.

3. Can muons travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of special relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This has been consistently supported by experiments and observations. Therefore, it is not possible for a muon or any other particle to travel faster than the speed of light.

4. Why was there speculation about muons travelling faster than light?

In 2011, the OPERA experiment at CERN reported that muons appeared to be arriving at their destination faster than expected, which could potentially indicate travel faster than the speed of light. However, this was later found to be due to a faulty measurement and was not confirmed by other experiments.

5. What does this mean for our understanding of physics?

The speculation about muons travelling faster than light has not been supported by evidence and is not consistent with our current understanding of physics. The theory of special relativity, which has been extensively tested and verified, remains a fundamental principle in modern physics.