Troubleshooting HP50G Syntax Errors for MSOLV

In summary, the HP50G is not able to correctly close the opening paren and tick mark. You may need to use square brackets enclosing the entire matrix in order for it to work. Additionally, you may need to use a different syntax when using MSOLV.
Clutch Cargo
I recently purchased an HP50G as I caught my TI-89 giving me incorrect results when solving simultaneous equations. However I can't get the 50G to do anything but tell me invalid syntax. I am using MSOLV as follows:

MSOLV('[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0][y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0][x,y]

This is the syntax copied straight out of the users guide. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Clutch Cargo said:
I recently purchased an HP50G as I caught my TI-89 giving me incorrect results when solving simultaneous equations. However I can't get the 50G to do anything but tell me invalid syntax. I am using MSOLV as follows:

This is the syntax copied straight out of the users guide. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Looks like you may need a set of square brackets inclosing the entire matrix.

Is the HP able to correctly close the opening paren and tick mark?

I've tried that along with apostrophes before and after the square brackets as shown in the HP users guide. You have heard of Moore's law, well there is also a Mathieson Law that I came up with years ago: it states that user friendliness is inversly proportional to functionality. The HP50G proves that point.,

Clutch Cargo said:
I recently purchased an HP50G as I caught my TI-89 giving me incorrect results when solving simultaneous equations.

I wonder, was it the machine's fault, or operator error? In the end, a calculator is only as smart as the person using it. What simultaneous equations were you trying to solve?

Hmm... My user's guide lists a different syntax. Try

MSOLV('[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0 , y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0]' , '[x,y]', '[0,0]')

I get 60,10

I am much happier with my TI-89 Titanium. I should put my HP on e-bay.

Besides, there are a number of good programs written for the 89.

For the HP 50

1. How can I get answers displayed as fractions rather than decimal ?

2. How can I convert decimals to fractions

pfinch said:
For the HP 50

1. How can I get answers displayed as fractions rather than decimal ?

2. How can I convert decimals to fractions

1. Go to MODE, then CAS, then uncheck APPROX. This will make the calc output exact fractions, rather than decimal approximations.

Personally, I keep my calc in this mode and use RSHIFT ENTER to convert from fraction to decimal as needed.

2. LSHIFT 6 (convert), then choose REWRITE, then ->Q to convert from decimal to fraction.

Some help please.
I'm writing a units application and I want to convert cubic meters /day into millions of cubic meters a gear. The first one is easy '1_m^3/d' but when I try '1_Mm^3/yr' it gets interpreted as 'million meters cubed per year.
I've tried putting brackets i.e. '1_M(m^3)/yr' and '1_M(m^3/yr)' but this results in nonsence.
I seem to remember reading about how to solve this problem in my old HP48sx manual, but I have long since lost that!
Has anybody got a solution?
Adrian

Clutch Cargo said:

There is not an MSOLV command; there _IS_ an MSLV command. The syntax is:

MSLV( '[x/60+x/15+(x-y)/5-15=0, y/2+(y-x)/5+5=0]' , '[x,y]' , [0,0] )

There are three arguments: '[ list of equations ]' , '[ list of variables ]' , [ list of initial values ]

I hope that is what you needed.

Han

1. What is the HP50G calculator and what is MSOLV?

The HP50G calculator is a scientific calculator manufactured by Hewlett-Packard. MSOLV is a built-in programming language on the calculator that allows users to create their own programs and equations.

2. What are syntax errors and why do they occur?

Syntax errors are errors that occur when the programming language used on the calculator, in this case MSOLV, cannot understand the instructions given. They usually occur due to incorrect formatting or missing components in the code.

3. How can I identify a syntax error on the HP50G calculator?

Syntax errors are usually indicated by a flashing cursor on the line where the error is located. Additionally, the calculator will display an error message that describes the issue.

4. How can I troubleshoot syntax errors on the HP50G calculator?

To troubleshoot syntax errors, start by carefully reviewing your code and checking for any typos or missing components. You can also use the "Syntax" feature on the calculator, which checks for errors in the code and provides suggestions for corrections.

5. What are some common mistakes that can lead to syntax errors on the HP50G calculator?

Some common mistakes that can lead to syntax errors include using incorrect or misspelled commands, not using the correct syntax for equations, and forgetting to close parentheses or quotation marks. It is important to double check your code for these types of errors before running it on the calculator.