Calculating Particle Velocities in a Relativistic System

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of velocity transformation equations to find the velocities of particles in an accelerator. The equations involve u_x, u'_x, and v, which represent the speed of an object as seen from a stationary observer, the speed of an object as measured in a moving frame, and the speed of the moving frame, respectively. An example involving rockets A and B approaching each other is also discussed to further illustrate the use of these equations.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have two particles in an accelerator approaching each other with a relative speed of 0.880c. The particles travel at the same speed as measured in the laboratory. I have to find the velocity of each particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I use the transformation of velocities:

u'_x = (2*0.880c)/(1-(-(0.880c)^2/c^2)

- since v_1 = -v_2. I get 0,99c, but apparently it must equal 0,597c?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using that equation backwards. That equation gives you the relative speed, which you already have, in terms of the lab frame speeds.

Can you tell me, what u'_x, v and u_x are? They seem to differ (the meaning of them) every time I encounter a new problem.

v is the speed of object u' relative to u, and u_x is speed of u to stationary observer and u'_x is speed of u' to stat. obs.?

This doesn't add up with our problem? (Btw, I got the real answer, but I still lack the definitions).

Here's one way of looking at it. In the lab frame, the velocity of the A particle is +u and the B particle is -u. From the frame of the B particle, the lab frame is moving at speed +u. (Call the lab frame S', since it's moving.) So, in the lab frame the speed of the A particle is u' = u.

Transforming to the stationary frame of the B particle, the speed of the A particle with respect to the B particle will be given by:

v = (u' + u)/(1 + u'u/c^2) = 2u/(1 + u^2/c^2)

Make sense?

One way I like to write this is:

Relativistic addition of parallel velocities:
[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

Ahh, I see.

Can you tell me more generally, what they stand for? So I can use them on other examples.

But I liked your explanation! (bookmarked)

Niles said:
Can you tell me more generally, what they stand for?
What what stands for? Which variables do you mean?

What u_x, u´_x and v stand for in the equations when transforming velocities.

u_x is the speed of the object as seen from a stationary observer?
v is the speed of S' relative to S?
u´_x is the speed of the object in S' as seen from a stationary observer?

How about this:
u_x is the speed of object as measured in frame S (stationary)
u'_x is the speed of object as measured in fame S' (moving)
v is the speed of S' as measured in frame S

In that case:
u'_x = (u_x - v)/(1 - v u_x/c^2)

Let me know if that makes sense to you.

Applying this version to your problem:
Speed of A in S = + .88 c
Speed of B in S = - .88 c

If you choose a frame S' moving along with A (say), then v = +.88 c. Then you use the above formula to transform the speed of B in frame S (u_x = -.88 c) to find its speed u'_x with respect to A (which is S').

I found an example in my book that I tried to solve, which I hope will clarify things for my, but I'm kinda stuck.

"A planet P between two rockets A and B wants to measure the velocities of A and B. P is watching A and B getting closer to each other, and the distance between them is getting smaller with the velocity (5/7)c. From A it looks like B is approaching A with the velocity (35/37)c."

Ok, first of all, we notice that A and B are getting approaching each other with the velocity (5/7)c, so:

(5/7)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).

Also, from A it looks that B's speed is (35/37)c, so:

(35/37)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).

Am I way off here?

Niles said:
"A planet P between two rockets A and B wants to measure the velocities of A and B. P is watching A and B getting closer to each other, and the distance between them is getting smaller with the velocity (5/7)c. From A it looks like B is approaching A with the velocity (35/37)c."
This is a tricky one! First note that the highlighted statement is not equivalent to:
Ok, first of all, we notice that A and B are getting approaching each other with the velocity (5/7)c,
Which is good because this equation:
so:

(5/7)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).
Directly contradicts the other one.

Instead, it means that as seen by P, the distance between A and B is decreasing at a rate of (5/7)c. That's equivalent to saying that: (5/7)c = u_a + u_b

Also, from A it looks that B's speed is (35/37)c, so:

(35/37)c = (u_a + u_b) / (1+u_a*u_b/c^2).
Good.

Now combine the two equations to solve for the speeds.

Ahh, I see.. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Thank you for all your help so far.

1. What are relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles are subatomic particles that travel at speeds approaching the speed of light. They exhibit behavior that is described by the theory of relativity and have a high amount of kinetic energy.

2. How are relativistic particles different from non-relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles have a high speed and energy, while non-relativistic particles have a low speed and energy. Relativistic particles also follow the principles of relativity, while non-relativistic particles follow classical mechanics.

3. What is the significance of relativistic particles in physics?

Relativistic particles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter at high speeds and in extreme environments, such as in particle accelerators and in astrophysics. They also help in developing theories and models for understanding the fundamental principles of the universe.

4. Can relativistic particles be observed in everyday life?

No, relativistic particles are not observed in everyday life because they require extremely high speeds and energies that are not achievable in normal conditions. However, their effects can be observed in phenomena such as cosmic rays and particle collisions in accelerators.

5. How does the theory of relativity explain the behavior of relativistic particles?

The theory of relativity explains the behavior of relativistic particles by taking into account their high speeds and energies. It describes how time, space, and mass are affected by the particle's speed, and how they differ from the principles of classical mechanics. This theory helps in accurately predicting and understanding the behavior of these particles.