Measuring Angles in 360 Degrees: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of measuring angles in terms of 360 degrees instead of 180 degrees. The individual asking the question wants to be able to define a "standard" so that angles can be determined as under or over 180 degrees based on the position of two intersecting lines. Possible solutions such as using the cast rule or setting up a cartesian coordinate system are suggested.
Jake
Hi all,

This is a weird question,

I want to measure angles in terms of 360 degrees and not 180. The two lines will share a common point such that Line A ends at the point where Line B begins.

In order to do this don't you need to define some sort of "standard" so that you can know whether an angle is over or under the 180 mark?

Anyway, how could I do this?

(searched google and whatnot but found nothing. Perhaps there's some special keyword to use?)

Thanks a lot! :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jake said:
Hi all,

This is a weird question,

I want to measure angles in terms of 360 degrees and not 180. The two lines will share a common point such that Line A ends at the point where Line B begins.

In order to do this don't you need to define some sort of "standard" so that you can know whether an angle is over or under the 180 mark?

Anyway, how could I do this?

(searched google and whatnot but found nothing. Perhaps there's some special keyword to use?)

Thanks a lot! :)
Two lines meeting at a common point define two angles which add up to 360 deg. Pick one.

Hi Mathman,

I don't want to have to pick one or the other. I want the calculation to automatically return the result in the 1-360 degree format, based on some standard I set in the equation.

Picture two lines at a 90 degree angle. That can either be considered a 90 degree angle or 270 (obviously). But I want to somehow "set" the equation so that when line A is "on one side" of Line B, the angle will be under 180, and if its on the "other side" the angle will be over 180.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Jake said:
Hi Mathman,

I don't want to have to pick one or the other. I want the calculation to automatically return the result in the 1-360 degree format, based on some standard I set in the equation.

Picture two lines at a 90 degree angle. That can either be considered a 90 degree angle or 270 (obviously). But I want to somehow "set" the equation so that when line A is "on one side" of Line B, the angle will be under 180, and if its on the "other side" the angle will be over 180.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks again :)

this is a confusing question!
theatha=90
...B|A
t=180.|
_____ |______ Theatha=0 or 360 (after full revolution)
...|
...|
...|
t=270

Like this??

Notes: Theatha= Angle Value

What Topic is this??
What Level? I can only help you A level Downwards...
hope i donno this kinda helps..

In terms of 360 what do you mean Theatha/360 ? That doesn return the angle erm.

If Line A and Line B are opposite to each other won't that mean that its

Theatha=90
Alpha=180

Theatha+Alpha=270.

Why is this even relevant to you ...

I'm sorry I just don't understand the question.asked..jus trying to help

You can always use the Cast Rule to Measure Angles.
Lets say of Cos(Thetha)=1/2
SIN...|...ALL
...|...
...|...
_____ |______
...|...
...|...
TAN...|...COS
Make Lines from (0,0) obtuse outwards ...on ALL and COS.
Find Thetha by using calculator Cos^-1 (1/2) = 60 Degrees.
then measure First is ..60 and the second is 360-60 = 300 Degrees.
Hence Thetha =60,300 . ect ..

You can measure angles using Thetha = +/-PV +360n but i donno what level you're doing..
its perplexing ..just can't understand it.

Last edited:
Hi Phy, Thanks for following up.

Let me illustrate my point clearer by using a simple pictured In the Attachment below.

As you can see I have a blue and orange area, and two lines, A and B. I want to define the equation such that I will 'pick' an arbitrary 'side' of line A, such that when line B falls on one side it will be less than 180 degrees and on the other greater than 180.

Attachments

• Line Diagram.jpg
    Line Diagram.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 460
Looking at the diagram, it looks like you should place the A,B common point at the origin of a standard cartesian coordinate system and make A lie along the y-axis in the positive direction. Then if the x component of B is positive the angle is less than 180 deg., if negative the angle will be greater than 180 deg.

Hey mathman, thanks, I see where that is going and think I can make something work :D

What is the most common tool used to measure angles?

The most common tool used to measure angles is a protractor.

How do you use a protractor to measure an angle?

To use a protractor, place the center of the protractor on the vertex of the angle. Then, align one of the straight edges of the protractor with one of the sides of the angle. Finally, read the number value where the second side of the angle intersects with the protractor.

What are the units of measurement for angles?

The units of measurement for angles are degrees (°), minutes (′), and seconds (″).

How do you convert between different units of measurement for angles?

To convert between degrees, minutes, and seconds, remember that there are 60 minutes in one degree and 60 seconds in one minute. To convert from degrees to minutes, multiply the degree value by 60. To convert from minutes to seconds, multiply the minute value by 60. To convert from seconds to minutes, divide the second value by 60. And to convert from minutes to degrees, divide the minute value by 60.

What is the difference between acute, right, obtuse, and reflex angles?

Acute angles measure less than 90°, right angles measure exactly 90°, obtuse angles measure between 90° and 180°, and reflex angles measure between 180° and 360°.