Magnetic Field Inside Cylindrical Conductor

In summary, the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor is a region of space created by the flow of electric current through the conductor. Its strength can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr and is affected by the amount of current, permeability of the material, and distance from the center of the conductor. The direction of the magnetic field can be changed by altering the direction of the current, and it plays a significant role in understanding electric currents and the functioning of electrical devices.
pardesi
why is the magnetic field just inside a cylindrical conductor with inner radii a, and outer radii b carrying a uniform current I distributed throught it's croos section just 0 inside the conductor.
I used ampere's law and that surely doesn't give 0

Physics news on Phys.org
a current produces a magnetic field whose lines of force form circles around the wire carring the current. every loop (of field lines) must inclose a current and there is no current in the hollow part of the wire.

inside the conductor

The magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor with a uniform current distributed throughout its cross section is not zero, but it is very small. Ampere's law states that the magnetic field inside a conductor is proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the current. Therefore, as the distance from the current decreases (i.e. closer to the center of the conductor), the magnetic field will also decrease. This is why the magnetic field is very small just inside the conductor, as the distance from the current is very small.

However, the magnetic field is not exactly zero because there is still a non-zero current flowing through the conductor. Therefore, there is still a magnetic field present, just at a very low magnitude. Additionally, the shape and size of the conductor can also affect the distribution of the magnetic field, so it may not be completely uniform throughout the entire cross section.

In conclusion, while the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor with a uniform current may be very small, it is not exactly zero and is still present due to the current flowing through the conductor. Ampere's law is still applicable in this situation, but the magnitude of the magnetic field may be different depending on the specific conditions of the conductor.

1. What is a magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor?

The magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor is a region of space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the flow of electric current through the conductor and is represented by a series of concentric circles around the conductor.

2. How is the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor calculated?

The magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor can be calculated using the following formula: B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the conductor, and r is the distance from the center of the conductor.

3. What affects the strength of the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor is affected by the amount of current flowing through the conductor, the permeability of the material the conductor is made of, and the distance from the center of the conductor.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor can be changed by changing the direction of the current flowing through the conductor. The direction of the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of the current.

5. What is the significance of the magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor?

The magnetic field inside a cylindrical conductor is significant because it is the key to understanding the behavior of electric currents and their interaction with other magnetic fields. It is also essential for the functioning of many electrical devices, such as motors and generators.