Seeking Job #2 Decision: How to Follow Up?

In summary, the individual is facing a decision between two job offers and is seeking advice on how to approach the second company, Job#2, for an update on their decision. It is suggested to ask for an extension from the first company, Job#1, and to explain the situation to the second company in order to avoid appearing pushy. The individual is concerned about how to phrase the email to the technical manager at Job#2 without seeming too pushy.
DefaultName
Hi all,

I have a job offer from a company that is due by this week (Job#1). I am still waiting on another company, Job#2, which I really want to work for. I interviewed with them approx 1.5 weeks ago and really need answer because I'll need to decide on Job#1. How can I email the guy from Job#2 to see if I got it? I'm not sure what to say in the email.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd ask company one for an extension first. They're likely to grant it, unless the project is time-sensitive. If that's a no-go, just tell the second company your situation. They'd hate to lose you because their HR guy was sick the day you needed the response. On the other hand, if they really haven't decided yet, they won't decide on the spot just because you need them to.

zhentil said:
On the other hand, if they really haven't decided yet, they won't decide on the spot just because you need them to.

Yep, see that's why I want to tailor my email so it doesn't make it seem I'm pushing him to decide... I know he is interviewing other candidates, like any other person. The person I'd be emailing is a technical manager, not HR.

DefaultName said:
Yep, see that's why I want to tailor my email so it doesn't make it seem I'm pushing him to decide... I know he is interviewing other candidates, like any other person. The person I'd be emailing is a technical manager, not HR.
But aren't you pushing him to decide? I promise, it will come off much worse if you don't mention your other offer. In the first case, you're pushy, but there's a reason. In the second case, you're pushy for what appears to be no good reason.

1. What is the best way to follow up after submitting a job application?

The best way to follow up after submitting a job application is to send a thank-you email or letter to the hiring manager or recruiter within a week of submitting your application. This shows your continued interest in the position and keeps you on their radar.

2. How long should I wait before following up on a job application?

It is recommended to wait at least one week after submitting your application before following up. This allows the hiring team enough time to review all applications and schedule interviews.

3. Should I follow up multiple times if I don't hear back?

It is not recommended to follow up multiple times if you don't hear back after your initial follow-up. This can come across as pushy or desperate. If you haven't heard back after two follow-ups, it is best to move on and continue your job search.

4. Is it appropriate to follow up on a job application through social media?

No, it is not appropriate to follow up on a job application through social media. Stick to more professional methods such as email or phone. Social media may not be monitored by the hiring team and could come across as unprofessional.

5. How can I make my follow-up stand out?

To make your follow-up stand out, personalize it by mentioning something specific about the company or position that caught your interest. Additionally, highlight any new skills or experiences you have acquired since submitting your application. Keep your follow-up concise and professional.