Ricci tensor equals a constant times the metric

In summary: R_{a b} = Ag_{a b} and clarifying the equations for a maximally symmetric space. In summary, the value of A determines whether the manifold is an n-sphere or AdSn, and for an n-sphere with radius r, R_{a b} = {n-1 \over r^2} g_{a b}. However, there may have been a discrepancy with an extra factor of n in the previous equations.
Pacopag
Hello;
What does it mean physically if I have?
[tex]R_{a b} = Ag_{a b}[/tex]

I think it means that my manifold is an n-sphere (i.e. if A is positive),
or it is AdSn (i.e. if A is negative). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it. What I wrote above is correct for some particular values of A;
[tex]n(n-1) \over r^2[/tex] where r is the radius of the n-sphere.
Put a minus sign in front of this for AdSn

Pacopag said:
I think I got it. What I wrote above is correct for some particular values of A;
[tex]n(n-1) \over r^2[/tex] where r is the radius of the n-sphere.
Put a minus sign in front of this for AdSn

Are you sure?

I thought that the equations were the following.

For maximally symmetric spaces, we have (n= number os spacetime dimensions)

[tex]R_{\rho \sigma \mu \nu} = C (g_{\rho \mu} g_{\sigma \nu} - g_{\rho \nu} g_{\sigma \mu})
[/tex]

By contracting, you can show that

[tex] C = \frac{R}{n(n-1)} [/tex]
whre R is the Ricci scalar.
Therefore

[tex]
R_{\rho \sigma \mu \nu} = \frac{R}{n(n-1)} (g_{\rho \mu} g_{\sigma \nu} - g_{\rho \nu} g_{\sigma \mu}) [/tex]

Thsi agrees with eq 3.191 of Carroll

Now, this means

[tex] R_{\sigma \nu} = \frac{R}{n} g_{\sigma \nu} [/tex]

To be honest, I don't really know what I'm talking about. But everything you wrote seems correct. But now when I find R for an n-sphere of radius r I find that
[tex]R={n(n-1)\over r^2}[/tex]. So we get
[tex]R_{a b}={n-1\over r^2}g_{a b}[/tex]
Oh wait! That's not what I had above. I had an extra factor of n on the right-hand side.

Thank you kdv

1. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object used in the study of curvature in differential geometry. It is a symmetric tensor that summarizes the local curvature of a manifold.

2. What is the metric in this equation?

The metric in this equation refers to the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that defines the distance between points in a manifold. It is used to measure the length of vectors and the angle between them.

3. What does it mean for the Ricci tensor to equal a constant times the metric?

This means that the local curvature of the manifold is constant in all directions. In other words, the Ricci tensor is proportional to the metric tensor, indicating a uniform curvature throughout the manifold.

4. What are some applications of this equation?

This equation is widely used in general relativity and differential geometry to study the curvature of spacetime and other mathematical objects. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of gravity and black holes.

5. Can the Ricci tensor always be expressed as a constant times the metric?

No, the Ricci tensor is not always a constant multiple of the metric tensor. In fact, this equation is only valid for certain special cases, such as a constant curvature manifold or a vacuum solution in general relativity.