Strength of electrostatic force

In summary, the problem involves three point charges located at the corners of an equilateral triangle. The Coulomb constant is given as 8.98755 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2. The question asks for the strength of the electrostatic force on the top charge, with a given length of each side being 0.19m. The solution involves using the equation F= k(q1)(q2)/r^2 and breaking the force into its components using vector analysis.
bastige

Homework Statement

Three point charges are located at the corner of an equilateral triangle. The Coulomb constant is 8.98755 X 109 N*m2 / C2
What is the strength of the electrostatic force on the top charge? Answer in units of N.

Length of each side is .19m

Photo: http://rs300l32.rapidshare.com/files/102321145/876fa4a066b34fc617aee82211671f78.jpg

Homework Equations

F= [k(q1)(q2)] / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must get F1 & F2, but then I don't know what to do

F1=[k(2.68E-6)(1.32E-6)] / .19^2 = .880730107

F2= [k(2.68E-6)(-3.93E-6)] / .19^2

I

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can you please upload the diagram to imageshack.us?

Vector analysis. Break the force into its components.

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields.

How is the strength of electrostatic force calculated?

The strength of electrostatic force can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the objects and the distance between them. The force increases as the charges increase and decreases as the distance between the objects increases.

Can electrostatic force act over a distance?

Yes, electrostatic force can act over a distance. As long as the charged objects are not in contact, the force between them can still be felt.

How is electrostatic force different from gravitational force?

Electrostatic force is caused by the interaction of electric fields between charged objects, while gravitational force is caused by the mass of objects. Additionally, electrostatic force can be both attractive and repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.