Reflexive, Symmetric, or Transitive

• Thread starter needhelp83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine if a given digraph represents a reflexive, symmetric, or transitive relation. The digraph is initially uploaded in a word document, but it is suggested to upload it as a PDF to avoid potential infection. The given relation is {(1,2), (1, 4), (2,3), (2,4), (4,4)} and the definitions of reflexive, symmetric, and transitive are provided. The person is unsure of how to apply the definitions to the given relation, but with further explanation, they are able to determine that the relation is not reflexive, symmetric, or transitive.
needhelp83
Determine whether the following digraph represents a relation that is reflexive, symmetric, or transitive.

Not sure how to determine this. Any help would be wonderful. The digraph is uploaded into a word document.

Attachments

• digraph.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think you could upload it in a PDF file instead? MS Word documents can be infected. Just print it to PDF.

Here you go. Now in PDF format

So that relation is {(1,2), (1, 4), (2,3), (2,4), (4,4)}.

Now what are the definitions of "reflexive, symmetric, and transitive"?

Let A be a set and R be a relation on A

R is reflexive on A iff for all x in A, x R x
R is symmetric iff for al x and y in A, if x R y, then y R x
R is transistive iff for all x, y, and z iin A, if x R y and y R z, then x R z

I have the definitions, but I am not quite sure that I can actually understand what is going on.

You relation is {(1,2), (1, 4), (2,3), (2,4), (4,4)}.
needhelp83 said:
Let A be a set and R be a relation on A

R is reflexive on A iff for all x in A, x R x
"1" is certainly in "A". Is "1 R 1"- that is, is (1,1) in that relation?

R is symmetric iff for al x and y in A, if x R y, then y R x
(1, 2) is in that relation so "1 R 2". Is "2 R 1"? (Is (2, 1) in that relation?)

R is transistive iff for all x, y, and z iin A, if x R y and y R z, then x R z
(1, 2) and (2, 3) are in that relation so "1 R 2" and "2 R 3". Is "1 R 3"? (Is (1, 3) in that relation?

I have the definitions, but I am not quite sure that I can actually understand what is going on.

No none of these definitions fit for this relation. Thanks for the explanation by the way. That really helps me understand a lot better.

So did I interpret this correctly?

Yes, that is correct.

1. What do the terms "reflexive", "symmetric", and "transitive" mean in relation to scientific research?

The terms "reflexive", "symmetric", and "transitive" are commonly used in scientific research to describe relationships between variables or concepts. A reflexive relationship means that a variable is related to itself, a symmetric relationship means that two variables are related to each other in the same way, and a transitive relationship means that if variable A is related to variable B and variable B is related to variable C, then variable A is also related to variable C.

2. How are these terms used in mathematical equations?

In mathematical equations, these terms are used to define the properties of equality and inequality. For example, if a = b, then the relationship between a and b is reflexive, meaning that a is equal to itself. If a < b, then the relationship between a and b is transitive, meaning that if a is less than b and b is less than c, then a is also less than c.

3. How are these concepts applied in social science research?

In social science research, these concepts are used to analyze relationships between variables and how they interact with each other. For example, in sociology, researchers may use transitive relationships to understand how social inequalities are maintained through the transmission of power and privilege between individuals and groups.

4. What are some examples of reflexive, symmetric, and transitive relationships in the natural world?

In the natural world, reflexive relationships can be seen in the behavior of animals towards themselves, such as grooming or self-protection. Symmetric relationships can be observed in predator-prey interactions, where both species affect each other in the same way. Transitive relationships can be seen in food chains, where energy is passed from one organism to another.

5. How do these concepts contribute to our understanding of complex systems?

By understanding and identifying reflexive, symmetric, and transitive relationships, scientists are able to better understand and model complex systems. These concepts help to reveal the underlying patterns and structures within a system and how different variables interact and influence each other. This can lead to a deeper understanding of natural phenomena and improve our ability to predict and control them.