Is there a liquid which is attracted by magnet at room temp.

In summary, there is a liquid called ferro fluid that is attracted to magnets and does not separate. It is made up of tiny ground up magnets and forms the magnetic field it is in. Videos of ferro fluids can be found on YouTube and it is known to easily stain things. Mercury is another liquid that is at room temperature, but it is not attracted to magnets. Each particle in ferro fluid acts as a dipole and can create "spikey shapes" when exposed to a magnet.
vishnukorde
please tell the name of a liquid (at room temperature) which is attracted by a magnet. and its constituents does not get seperated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
there are such a liquid called ferro fluids. you can look at videos of them and their interaction on youtube easy. just search ferro fluid. its kind of cool.
apparently it stains things pretty easy and will never come off the magnet
it is essentally a whole bunch of little ground up magnets in a liquid.
it forms the magnetic field that it is in.
kinda neat stuff.
i don't know whither it meets your "constituents does not get seperated" requirement.

mercury.

do you mean the liquid is at room temperature? I'm pretty sure liquid oxygen is but that would be very cold :-/

Mercury is not going to be attracted to a magnet. Magnetic colloids (ferro fluids), as taylaron mentioned, are likely your best bet. Since the particles are nanoscale, they probably wouldn't settle or separate too much due to Brownian motion and such. Then again, I've never worked with the stuff.

I'm also curious - wouldn't each particle act as a dipole by itself? And how would that relate to the affect of a magnet? I think I recall seeing "spikey shapes" emerge from the fluid when exposed to a magnet.

there are millions of tiny magnets imbedded in this fluid, each one of them is attracted to the nearest field line produced by the magnet. those 'spikes' are their attempt to follow it. Its a great way to display magnetic field lines

1. Is there a liquid that can be attracted by a magnet at room temperature?

Yes, there are several liquids that can be attracted by a magnet at room temperature. These include ferrofluid, a magnetic liquid made up of ferromagnetic nanoparticles suspended in a carrier liquid, and paramagnetic liquids, which contain atoms or molecules with unpaired electrons that can be temporarily magnetized in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How does magnetism work in liquids?

In liquids, magnetism is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, in response to a magnetic field. In ferrofluids, the magnetic nanoparticles align themselves with the field, creating a temporary magnetic field in the liquid. In paramagnetic liquids, the unpaired electrons align with the field, producing a weak magnetic effect.

3. Can any liquid be attracted by a magnet at room temperature?

No, not all liquids can be attracted by a magnet at room temperature. Only liquids that contain magnetic particles or atoms with unpaired electrons can exhibit magnetic properties. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field and the size and concentration of the magnetic particles also play a role in the magnetism of the liquid.

4. Can the magnetism of a liquid be turned off?

Yes, the magnetism of a liquid can be turned off by removing the magnetic field. In the absence of a magnetic field, the particles in ferrofluids and the electrons in paramagnetic liquids will return to their random orientations and the liquid will no longer exhibit magnetic properties.

5. Are there any practical applications for magnetism in liquids?

Yes, there are several practical applications for magnetism in liquids. Ferrofluids are used in various technologies, such as loudspeakers and computer hard drives, to control and dampen vibrations. They are also used in medicine for targeted drug delivery. Paramagnetic liquids are used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce detailed images of the body's tissues and organs.