Are Ghosts Real? Exploring the Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter captain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ghosts
In summary, ghosts are introduced in the path integral formalism of QFT to deal with the redundant degrees of freedom in gauge theories. They are represented by ghost and anti-ghost fields and are necessary in nonabelian gauge theories but can be integrated out in QED. The longitudinal-photon state is not a physical state and does not contribute to physically measurable quantities.
captain
what exactly are ghosts? i am guessing that they have something to do with overcounting feynman diagrams or something but i am still not sure. also is a so-called "longitudinal" free photon considered to be a ghost?

Physics news on Phys.org

captain said:
what exactly are ghosts? i am guessing that they have something to do with overcounting feynman diagrams or something but i am still not sure. also is a so-called "longitudinal" free photon considered to be a ghost?
Please allow me to try to explain this, I have just studied about this in my study group these two days, so anybody is welcome to correct or supplement me.
In the path integral formalism of QFT, when we encounter a gauge theory, because the redundant degrees of freedom (the physics are not affected after gauge transformation), we have problems to deal with the partition function, from which all physical quantities are calculated.
The way to cure this is by inserting an identity
[tex]1 = \int Dg\delta(F)\det\left(\frac{\delta F}{\delta g}\right)[/tex]
into the path integral.
The delta function serves as the gauge fixing, i.e. to avoid of calculation of redundant degrees of freedom. To deal with the determinant, since we still want certain perturbation theory, we try to write the determinant as some exponential. The way to do this is by introducing two Grassmanian fields, called ghost and anti-ghost. After writing the determinant in the form of exponential, the ghost and anti-ghost contributes to the Lagrangian, we can see from the quadratic kinetic operator that they propagate according to bosonic fields, since they are Gassmanian fields actually, so they don't have right statistics, or they are not casual fields.
Hence, they can be thought of as some mathematical artificial tools to deal with quantisaiton of gauge theory. In QED, you can see that the ghosts and anti-ghosts can be integrated out, so that we don't need them. But they are extremely important in the nonabelian case.
The longitudinal-photon state is not a physical state. The contribution to physically measurable quantities of longitudinal and time-like photon states would cancel each other.

I must approach this question from a logical and evidence-based perspective. Ghosts, or the concept of spirits or souls of deceased individuals, have been a topic of fascination and debate for centuries. However, there is currently no scientific evidence to support their existence.

In terms of Feynman diagrams, they are mathematical representations used in quantum field theory to describe the interaction between particles. They do not have any connection to the concept of ghosts.

As for the term "longitudinal" free photon, this refers to a theoretical type of photon that travels in the same direction as its spin. This is still a topic of research and debate in physics, but it is not considered to be a ghost.

Overall, the concept of ghosts falls outside of the realm of science and cannot be studied or explained using scientific methods. It is ultimately a matter of personal belief and interpretation.

What exactly are ghosts?

Ghosts are believed to be the spirits or souls of deceased individuals who have not yet fully moved on to the afterlife.

Do ghosts really exist?

This is a debated topic and there is no scientific evidence to prove or disprove the existence of ghosts. Some people believe in ghosts based on personal experiences or cultural beliefs, while others do not.

How do ghosts appear or manifest?

Ghosts are said to appear in various forms, such as apparitions, orbs, or shadows. They may also manifest through sounds, smells, or physical sensations.

Why do some places have more ghost sightings than others?

There are a few theories as to why some places may have more ghost sightings. Some believe that locations with a lot of history, tragedy, or emotional significance may be more likely to have ghosts. Additionally, places with high electromagnetic fields or infrasound may also contribute to ghost sightings.

Can ghosts harm or communicate with the living?

Again, this is a debated topic and there is no scientific evidence to support either claim. Some people believe that ghosts can communicate with the living through various means, such as EVP recordings or mediums. However, there is no evidence that ghosts can physically harm the living.