Is there a physiological basis for magical thinking?

In summary: I'm not really sure how that relates...?In summary, humans are naturally inclined to explain the mysteries of life with magic or witchcraft or religion because the mind fails to account for things it does not understand.
OAQfirst
I know that there is argument over whether behavior developed in tandem with physique. But is there a known physiological basis or impetus for magical thinking? Where the mind fails to account for things it does not understand, there is a natural inclination to explain the mysteries of life with magic or witchcraft or religion. Is there is a part of the brain that handles this area of thought? Are there any studies or books I could look for to help me understand this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Are you asking about creativity? Children quite naturally invent their own explanations for the world around them to try to come to grips with it as well. People stop being creative when they accept an explanation for something as true (as adults in the past have even believed in "magic" and "myth" as fact when they stopped considering alternatives as they got older). Seeing as how all children seem to show this tendency to be creative when they are young regardless of culture certainly suggests that there is some fundamental biological connection associated with such behavior, but this is outside of my area of study so I can't really say too much more than that.

OAQfirst said:
is there a known physiological basis or impetus for magical thinking? Where the mind fails to account for things it does not understand, there is a natural inclination to explain the mysteries of life with magic or witchcraft or religion.

like explaining consciousness with freewill?

it seems to me to be the result of fuzzy logic.

Renge Ishyo said:
Are you asking about creativity? Children quite naturally invent their own explanations for the world around them to try to come to grips with it as well. People stop being creative when they accept an explanation for something as true (as adults in the past have even believed in "magic" and "myth" as fact when they stopped considering alternatives as they got older). Seeing as how all children seem to show this tendency to be creative when they are young regardless of culture certainly suggests that there is some fundamental biological connection associated with such behavior, but this is outside of my area of study so I can't really say too much more than that.

I don't think it's so much about creativity. Maybe. But rather the explanations humans had for what they couldn't understand in ancient times or prehistory. But that biological connection is fascinating.

It kind of seems like the difference in personality types would account for how skeptical people are to a degree (ie whether or not they would believe in gods, witchcraft, etc) and I guess genetics and environmental influences would affect someone's personality type and also I think stress could cause someone whose normally sane to lose it/start being delusional or something. I'm not sure if "personality type" is the right word to use here..

I mean, I know some people who are really really gullible, they seem to believe stuff in a really unscientific, careless way without much thought, like I had a friend once whom we told there were spider-wasps (an insect that was part spider/part wasp) made/discovered on the planet (This was just something from the tv show sliders) and she believed us right away and I know other people who are really really skeptical. Both her and her mom seem like really gullible, unscientific etc people but her brother seems incredibly smart, skeptical and scientific, he was actually the one who told her about the spider-wasps lol I mean, she (the girl we told about the spider-wasps) believes she's seen ghosts in the past, and believes humans were dropped off by aliens as an experiment...I could go on but both her and her mom seem to believe a wide variety of stuff in a very unscientific way...I don't know how much genetics affects that. Her brother's completely different and very scientific and skeptical, so, I don't know, but her brother's definitely related to them

Last edited:
But I also know some really talented/creative people who are really really creative and talented in that regard but don't think scientifically

1. What is magical thinking?

Magical thinking is the belief that one's thoughts, words, or actions can influence events or bring about desired outcomes without any logical or rational explanation.

2. Is there any scientific evidence for magical thinking?

While there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of supernatural forces or magical powers, there is evidence that suggests that humans are prone to magical thinking due to cognitive biases and social conditioning.

3. What is the physiological basis for magical thinking?

Research has shown that magical thinking is associated with increased activity in the brain's reward centers, specifically the ventral striatum, which is responsible for processing positive emotions and motivation. This may explain why people continue to engage in magical thinking despite lack of evidence.

4. Can magical thinking have any positive effects?

While magical thinking is often associated with superstition and irrational beliefs, it can also have positive effects on an individual's well-being. For example, it can provide a sense of control and comfort in uncertain situations, and can also serve as a coping mechanism in times of stress or trauma.

5. Is magical thinking harmful?

In some cases, magical thinking can be harmful if it leads to dangerous behaviors or interferes with an individual's ability to make rational decisions. It can also contribute to the spread of misinformation and pseudoscience. However, for most people, occasional instances of magical thinking are harmless and may even have some benefits.