Selecting a Vacuum Pump: 5 CFM, Argon/Air, High Heat, Small Particles

In summary, this person is looking for a small vacuum pump to degas small quantities of resin. They don't need a massive pump, but they do need a pump with a 8 cfm rating.
M.Pesh
Hello,

I need some help selecting a vacuum pump.
Required specs

- 5 CFM
- vacuum (0-10 in/mg)
- possibility of sucking up small metal particles (size:50-200 microns)
- working fluid is argon/air
- needs to handle high heat

My original feeling was to go with a venturi design made my FESTO. But I don't like the idea of wasting compressed air.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean 0-10 inHg? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inch_of_mercury" [Broken]). When you talk about vacuum pumps it is the zero part in the 0-10 that makes all the difference. How close to 0 does your vacuum need to be.

There are different gradations in vacuum:

Atmospheric pressure 760 Torr 101.3 kPa
Low vacuum 760 to 25 Torr 100 to 3 kPa
Medium vacuum 25 to 1×10-3 Torr 3 kPa to 100 mPa
High vacuum 1×10-3 to 1×10-9 Torr 100 mPa to 100 nPa
Ultra high vacuum 1×10-9 to 1×10-12 Torr 100 nPa to 100 pPa
Extremely high vacuum <1×10-12 Torr <100 pPa

For medium vacuum you can use a roughing (positive displacement, rotary vane) pump. http://www.varianinc.com/cgi-bin/nav?products/vacuum/pumps/index&cid=KKKLPLPJFO".

Last edited by a moderator:
I would highly recommend that if you are not used to spec'ing out a pump yourself that you go through a supplier that can size one for you. Especially with vacuum pumps. Look for your local reps under something like ThomasNet.

Thanks for the help,
I should have clarified myself better, What I was looking for was 0-10inHg gauge pressure This leaves me well into the low vacuum region.

If you want to get to low vacuum and your chamber has a relatively small volume you should use a roughing pump to back up the turb-mech pump. Also try the company Lybold (I think it is spelled correclty) located in Delmont, PA.

A turbo pump is overkill. He only needs 10 inHg gauge pressure, which is around 20 inHg or 500 Torr absolute pressure.

10 inHg Vac = 254 mmHg Vac = 506 Torr = 674 mbar = 67.4 Kpa

this is a depression, but not really to be considered as a vacuum.

Also 5 cfm (8.5 m³/h) is very small for a mechanical pump: you original idea of an air driven ejector is probably the best solution. If compressed air is not available you may look for a mini liquid ring vacuum pump.

Manufacturers for ejectors and vacuum pumps are listed in www.vacuum-guide.com

i need some help also in choosing a vacuum pump. i am currently in the process of manufacturing small plastic parts. a serious problem i need to fix is the air bubbles trapped within the resin compounds, thus resulting in a flawed final project. i am new to the degassing/vacuum chamber world so forgive my lack of knowledge in this field. i do not need a massive pump for i am only degassing no more than 5 fl oz of resin with a viscoscity around 500 cps with the possibly of up to 2000 cps. i was looking at a vacuum pump made by Robinair product id rob15800 with a 8cfm rating. i was thinking of linking it up to a vacuum chamber to perform the degassing. i wanted to see if a that company was any good and if that pump would do the job, and b if anyone has a better suggestion...any help would be much appreicated. thank you for your time

1. What is the optimal CFM for a vacuum pump?

The optimal CFM (cubic feet per minute) for a vacuum pump depends on the specific application. In general, a 5 CFM (cubic feet per minute) pump is suitable for small to medium-sized projects and can handle a moderate amount of air and particles.

2. Can a vacuum pump handle both argon and air?

Yes, a vacuum pump can handle both argon and air. However, it is important to make sure that the pump is specifically designed for this purpose and can handle the different properties and pressures of both gases. Consult with the manufacturer or do thorough research before purchasing a vacuum pump for this purpose.

3. How does a vacuum pump handle high heat?

A vacuum pump can handle high heat by using specialized materials and components that are designed to withstand high temperatures. It is important to check the specifications of the pump to ensure that it can handle the specific heat requirements of your project.

4. Can a vacuum pump effectively remove small particles?

Yes, a vacuum pump can effectively remove small particles. However, the efficiency of particle removal will depend on the type and size of particles, as well as the filtration system of the vacuum pump. It is important to choose a pump with a suitable filtration system for your specific needs.

5. Is a 5 CFM vacuum pump suitable for industrial use?

It depends on the specific industrial application. A 5 CFM vacuum pump may be suitable for small-scale industrial projects, but for larger and more demanding applications, a higher CFM pump may be necessary. It is important to consult with experts in the field or the manufacturer to determine the best pump for your industrial needs.