Problem from Eisberg: Blackbody Radiation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving cavity radiation and showing that the ratio of the integral of the energy density of the radiation over a certain wavelength range to the integral over all possible wavelengths is approximately equal to 1/4. The equations and methods for solving the problem are discussed, including the use of standard integrals and the differentiation product rule. The conversation ends with a request for help in evaluating a specific integral.
raghav

Homework Statement

In case of Cavity Radiation(Blackbody radiation) let [tex]\rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu[/tex] denote the energy density of radiation having frequency in the interval [tex]\nu[/tex] and [tex]\nu + d\nu[/tex].
Then we need to show that [tex]\frac{\int_{0}^{\lambda_{max}} \rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu}{\int_{0}^{\infty} \rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu} \approx \frac{1}{4} [/tex]
where [tex]\lambda_{max}[/tex] is the wavelength at which the radiation is most intense.

Homework Equations

The obvious rela\evant equation is
[tex]\rho_{T}(\nu)d\nu = \frac{8\pi h\nu^{3}}{c^{3}}\cdot \frac{d\nu}{e^{\frac{h\nu}{kT}}-1}[/tex] . But the problem is the integration part. Can some one please help me with that?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so:

[tex]\int \nu ^3 \cdot (e^{\frac{h\nu}{k_b T}}-1)^{-1} \cdot \delta \nu[/tex]

Is the equation you need to solve, so you can use:

[tex]\int A \delta B = AB - \int B \delta A[/tex]

(from the differentiation product rule). There's a start. Let me know if it helped.

Sam :smile:

Oops, and you'll probably need this standard integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x -1}\delta x = \frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

BerryBoy said:
Oops, and you'll probably need this standard integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3}{e^x -1}\delta x = \frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

Yes i could evaluate the denominator using the standard integral u have mentioned, however the Numerator is creating trouble. I have also tried a parts argument, doesn't seem to be taking me any where :cry:
Some1 please help asap

I can't do this without some assumptions, have you stated the WHOLE question from the start?

Sam

Yes I have indeed given all the necessary details the problem demands. Essentially my doubt boils down to evaluating the integral
[tex]\int_{0}^{a} \frac{t^{3}}{e^{t}-1}dt[/tex] ; [tex]a[/tex] being some constant.

1. What is Blackbody Radiation?

Blackbody radiation refers to the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody at a given temperature. A blackbody is an object that absorbs all incident light and reflects none, making it a perfect emitter of radiation.

2. What is the significance of the "problem from Eisberg" in relation to Blackbody Radiation?

The problem from Eisberg, also known as the "ultraviolet catastrophe", refers to the discrepancy between the classical theory of blackbody radiation and experimental observations. This problem led to the development of quantum mechanics and the concept of discrete energy levels, ultimately revolutionizing our understanding of the physical world.

3. How is Blackbody Radiation related to Planck's Law?

Planck's Law describes the spectral energy density of blackbody radiation and is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics. It relates the temperature of a blackbody to the intensity and wavelength of the emitted radiation, providing a solution to the "problem from Eisberg".

4. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law and how does it relate to Blackbody Radiation?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law describes the total energy radiated by a blackbody at a given temperature and is derived from Planck's Law. It states that the total energy emitted is proportional to the fourth power of the temperature, providing a quantitative relationship between temperature and radiation intensity.

5. How does Blackbody Radiation play a role in astrophysics?

Blackbody radiation is a fundamental concept in astrophysics, as it is responsible for the observed thermal emission from stars and other celestial bodies. By studying the spectrum of this radiation, scientists can determine the temperature and composition of these objects, providing valuable insights into the universe.