Electron transmission naming conventions

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the naming conventions for transitions between energy levels in atoms, specifically the use of capital letters in place of Greek letters. The person is frustrated with the lack of a clear table or standardized system to help understand the relationship between the two conventions. They also ask for clarification on which capital letters correspond to which series (e.g. Lyman, Balmer, Paschen) and express frustration with the complexity of the topic. The conversation then shifts to a question about the maximum atomic number of a target metal for which the x-ray spectrum will include the K-alpha spectrum line, with the person expressing difficulty in finding a formula to answer this question.
Andrusko
I know you can name transitions between states like Lyman alpha, beta, gamma and whatnot but every time I see them they are written with a capital letter instead like K-alpha, beta, gamma.

I cannot actually find a table anywhere (yes I have googled) that sums up how the two naming conventions are relative to one another, except that K-alpha means transition from n=2 to n=1.

The alpha, beta, gamma bit means from one, two, three level(s) up relative to the level you're at, right?

But in this particular naming convention what capital letters correspond to Lyman, Balmer, Paschen series etc.?

Sorry if it is a confusing question I am just very frustrated and having trouble putting my question into words properly. And why the hell isn't this a standardized naming system? It just confuses poor stupid physics students like me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Furthermore, could someone please tell me which equation I would use to answer this question:

An electron is fired at a target with 25keV of energy.
What is the maximum atomic number Z of a target metal for which the x-ray spectrum will include the K-alpha spectrum line?

I can't find a formula anywhere that has anything to do with atomic numbers and energy levels.

I can understand your frustration with the multiple naming conventions for electron transitions. However, it is important to note that these conventions are used in different fields of science and have historical origins.

The Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, and other series refer to the spectral lines observed in the emission spectra of hydrogen atoms. These series are named after the scientists who first discovered and studied them. The Lyman series refers to transitions between the ground state (n=1) and higher energy levels, while the Balmer series refers to transitions between the first excited state (n=2) and higher energy levels, and so on.

On the other hand, the K-alpha, K-beta, K-gamma naming convention is commonly used in X-ray spectroscopy. These letters refer to the different energy levels of the K-shell of an atom. The K-shell is the innermost electron shell and is designated by the letter K. The alpha, beta, gamma levels correspond to transitions from the K-shell to the L, M, and N shells, respectively.

It is important to note that these two naming conventions are not interchangeable and are used in different contexts. It is not necessary for one to correspond to the other as they refer to different aspects of electron transitions.

In terms of standardization, it is important to recognize that the scientific community is constantly evolving and adapting to new discoveries and technologies. As such, different fields of science may use different naming conventions based on their specific needs and applications. However, there are efforts to standardize certain aspects of scientific language and terminology, and it is always important to consult reliable sources when studying and conducting research.

I hope this helps clarify the naming conventions for electron transitions and their corresponding energy levels. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to continue seeking knowledge and understanding, even if it means facing some frustration along the way.

What is an electron transmission naming convention?

An electron transmission naming convention is a standardized system used to name and identify different aspects of electron transmission, such as the type of electron transmission (e.g. scanning electron microscopy) or the specific equipment used (e.g. transmission electron microscope).

Why are electron transmission naming conventions important?

Electron transmission naming conventions are important because they allow scientists to communicate and understand each other's research and findings more easily. They also help to avoid confusion and ensure consistency in the scientific community.

What are the different types of electron transmission?

The three main types of electron transmission are scanning electron microscopy (SEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM). Each type uses different techniques and instruments to visualize and analyze samples at a microscopic level.

How are electron transmission naming conventions determined?

Electron transmission naming conventions are typically determined by a committee or organization responsible for standardizing scientific terminology. They may also be based on the specific techniques and equipment used in electron transmission experiments.

Are electron transmission naming conventions universal?

While there are generally accepted naming conventions for electron transmission, they may vary slightly between different scientific fields or regions. It is important to check and follow the specific conventions used in your field of study or location.