Proving an inequality (not induction)

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the inequality (a^2 + b^2)(c^2 + d^2) ≥ (ac + bd)^2, with the use of triangle inequality, a suggested proof by contradiction, and a final hint to look at the difference between the two sides of the inequality.
Bleys

Homework Statement

For any real numbers a,b,c,d, prove that
[tex]\left(a^{2}+b^{2}\right)\left(c^{2}+d^{2}\right)\geq\left(ac+bd\right)^{2}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I use the triangle inequality to show that
[tex]\left|ac+bd\right|^{2}\leq\left(\left|ac\right|+\left|bd\right|\right)^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\left(ac\right)^{2}+\left(bd\right)^{2}+2abcd\leq\left(ac\right)^{2}+\left(bd\right)^{2}+2\left|ac\right|\left|bd\right|[/tex]

But I'm not sure how to compare it with the final result. Can you assume that
[tex]2\left|ab\right|\left|cd\right|\leq\left(bc\right)^{2}+\left(ad\right)^{2}[/tex]
I know the answer is probably no, and you have to take cases of a<b<c<d, a<c<b<d, etc. But that's 24 cases to consider! And while some are analogous to others, it doesn't cut it by more than half.

Am I even remotely on the right track? Any help or hint would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might try a proof by contradiction.
Assume that (a^2 + b^2)(c^2 + d^2) < (ac + bd)^2

Expand both sides and move the terms on the right side over to the left. If you can end up with the square of something on the left side being less than zero, there's your contradiction.

Hi Bleys! :smile:
Bleys said:
Am I even remotely on the right track?

Nope. :redface:

Hint: forget triangle inequalities …

expand both sides (as Mark44 says), and then look at the difference …

does it remind you of something? :wink:

Oh right; so (ad-bc)^2 < 0, so the starting inequality must be true;
I did think about proof by contradiction but it was to prove
[tex]2\left|ab\right|\left|cd\right|\leq\left(bc\right) ^{2}+\left(ad\right)^{2}[/tex]
-_- feel kinda silly now..

Thank you for help, both you!

1. How do I prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you need to show that one side of the inequality is always greater than or equal to the other side. This can be done through various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or using known mathematical properties and theorems.

2. What is the difference between proving an inequality and solving an equation?

Proving an inequality involves showing that one side is always greater than or equal to the other side, while solving an equation involves finding the specific values of the variables that make the equation true. Inequality proofs require a general approach, while equation solving requires a specific solution.

3. Can I use calculus to prove an inequality?

Yes, calculus can be used to prove inequalities. Techniques such as differentiation and integration can be useful in proving inequalities involving functions and their derivatives.

4. What is the importance of proving inequalities in mathematics?

Proving inequalities is important in mathematics because it allows us to compare quantities and make conclusions about their relationships. Inequalities are also used in many real-world applications, such as in optimization problems and probability calculations.

5. Are there any tips for proving inequalities more efficiently?

One tip for proving inequalities more efficiently is to start with the simpler side of the inequality and work towards the more complex side. It can also be helpful to break the proof into smaller steps and use known properties and theorems to simplify the problem. Additionally, practice and familiarity with different types of inequalities can also make the process more efficient.