Proving inequality by induction,given a condition

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods to prove the inequality x_{1}+x_{2}+\cdots+x_{n} \geq n when x_{1} x_{2} \cdots x_{n}=1. The methods discussed include using the AM-GM inequality and the Lagrange multiplier method, but the possibility of using induction is also considered. It is noted that it may not be possible to prove this inequality using induction.
realanony87

Homework Statement

If [tex]x_{1} x_{2} \cdots x_{n}=1[/tex] (1)
show that
[tex]x_{1}+x_{2}+\cdots+x_{n} \geq n[/tex] (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted as follows. I started with

[tex]x_{1} + \frac{1}{x_{1}} \geq 2[/tex] , which is an inequality I already know how to prove.

Then using Eq.(1) I get
[tex]x_{1} + x_{2} x_{3} \cdots x_{n} \geq 2[/tex]

Continuing from this point , for example started from another point [tex]x_{2}[/tex] and repeating the procedure for all [tex]n[/tex] , I get no where. I cannot think of another path to take.

If i try to do it by induction, I cannot assume that the equation holds for [tex]n[/tex] numbers , and try to prove for [tex]n+1[/tex] numbers, as by including [tex]x_{n+1}[/tex], Eq.(1) and Eq.(2) need not hold anymore but
[tex]x_{1} x_{2} \cdots x_{n} x_{n+1}=1[/tex]
[tex]x_{1}+x_{2}+\cdots+x_{n} +x_{n+1}\geq n +1[/tex]

Edit:
Assuming all x's are nonnegative

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming all the x_i are nonnegative real numbers.

Do you really want to do this by induction? It follows pretty easily from the AM-GM inequality.

Alternatively, you can use a Lagrange multiplier to extremize the sum of the xi's subject to the constraint that their product is 1.

Well I could use AM-GM , or the method by langrange multiplier but I am interested in how to apply the principle of induction itself when such a condition is given, or if its possible at all .

I don't really see how to get at this with induction.

1. What is the concept of proving inequality by induction?

The concept of proving inequality by induction is a mathematical method used to show that a particular inequality is true for all values of a variable, given a certain condition. It involves using a base case and an inductive step to prove that the inequality holds for all subsequent values of the variable.

2. What is the difference between proving inequality by induction and proving equality by induction?

The main difference between proving inequality by induction and proving equality by induction is the use of a strict inequality symbol (<) in the former and an equal sign (=) in the latter. Proving inequality by induction requires showing that the inequality holds for all values above a certain threshold, while proving equality by induction only requires showing that the equality holds for all values of the variable.

3. Can proving inequality by induction be used for all types of inequalities?

No, proving inequality by induction can only be used for strict inequalities, such as <, >, or ≠. It cannot be used for non-strict inequalities, such as ≤ or ≥, as the inductive step would not hold for all subsequent values of the variable.

4. What are the steps involved in proving inequality by induction?

The steps involved in proving inequality by induction are as follows:

• Step 1: Establish the base case by substituting the smallest possible value of the variable into the inequality and showing that it holds.
  • Step 2: Assume the inequality holds for a particular value of the variable, known as the inductive hypothesis.
  • Step 3: Use the inductive hypothesis to show that the inequality also holds for the next value of the variable.
  • Step 4: Repeat step 3 until the inequality has been shown to hold for all subsequent values of the variable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving inequality by induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving inequality by induction include:

• Using the wrong inequality symbol, such as using ≤ instead of <.
  • Assuming that the inequality holds for all values of the variable without first establishing the base case.
  • Skipping steps or not providing enough detail in the inductive step.
  • Making incorrect assumptions about the inductive hypothesis.