24V to 5V Power Supply Solution for AVR & Other Stuff

In summary, the 24V to 5V Power Supply Solution for AVR & Other Stuff is an effective method for converting higher voltage power sources to a lower voltage suitable for use with AVR microcontrollers and other electronic devices. This solution involves using a step-down regulator to efficiently convert the voltage and provide a stable 5V output. It also includes protective measures such as overcurrent and overvoltage protection to ensure the safety of the connected devices. With its compact size and cost-effective components, this power supply solution is a reliable option for powering various electronic projects and devices.
roeb
I have a 24 V lead acid battery that I am going to use for a power supply. I need to get 5 volts so that I can power an AVR some other stuff. I was originally intending to use a 7805 to get 5 volts, but I am concerned that this may be too much power dissipated.

I think I need about 200-300 mA and I am I not mistaken that is 19V * 300mA = 5.7 W which is awfully high. However, we do essentially have a very large heatsink that we can use because this will be attached to a large metal frame, but I think that may still be too much...

It was suggested to me to use a switch mode power supply, but unfortunately, I think be both too costly as well as taking up too much space.
Would a power resistor and a 1 W zener diode be a better choice than the 7805?

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can use to get a steady 5 volts? ( I cannot compromise on the 24 V source)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
roeb said:
I have a 24 V lead acid battery that I am going to use for a power supply. I need to get 5 volts so that I can power an AVR some other stuff. I was originally intending to use a 7805 to get 5 volts, but I am concerned that this may be too much power dissipated.

I think I need about 200-300 mA and I am I not mistaken that is 19V * 300mA = 5.7 W which is awfully high. However, we do essentially have a very large heatsink that we can use because this will be attached to a large metal frame, but I think that may still be too much...

It was suggested to me to use a switch mode power supply, but unfortunately, I think be both too costly as well as taking up too much space.
Would a power resistor and a 1 W zener diode be a better choice than the 7805?

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can use to get a steady 5 volts? ( I cannot compromise on the 24 V source)

These guys have some "all-in-one" 7805 drop-in replacements:
http://www.hvwtech.com/products_list.asp?CatID=163&SubCatID=276

They're pricey, but they would probably work if you didn't want to design your own switcher. You might also want to find the company that actually makes those instead of ordering from Canada. Most of the switch-mode ICs are quite well-documented with reference circuits, pertinent calculations and even part recommendations (take a look at Digikey for some buck voltage conversion ICs by Intersil or TI).

You *could* use the power resistor (properly spec'd and heat sinked) but you won't have great load regulation. But then again, that might be enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
MATLABdude and mgb_phys made some good suggestions. I'll just mention another option. Use a 7805 with a 47Ω, 10W resistor between the 24V supply and 7805 input. At 300 mA this will drop the voltage to about 10V at the regulator. Power dissipated will be 5W in the resistor and 1.5W in the regulator.

Buck converter?

1. What is a 24V to 5V power supply?

A 24V to 5V power supply is a device that converts a higher voltage of 24V to a lower voltage of 5V, which can then be used to power electronic devices that require a lower voltage to operate.

2. How does a 24V to 5V power supply work?

A 24V to 5V power supply works by using electronic components such as transformers, rectifiers, and capacitors to convert the input voltage of 24V to the desired output voltage of 5V. This process involves stepping down the voltage and regulating it to ensure a stable and steady output.

3. What is the purpose of using a 24V to 5V power supply for AVR and other electronics?

The main purpose of using a 24V to 5V power supply for AVR and other electronics is to provide a stable and reliable power source for these devices. Many electronic components, such as microcontrollers, require a lower voltage to operate, and using a power supply ensures that they receive the correct voltage without any fluctuations or spikes that could potentially damage the device.

4. Are there different types of 24V to 5V power supply solutions available?

Yes, there are different types of 24V to 5V power supply solutions available, such as linear regulators, switching regulators, and DC-DC converters. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the appropriate solution will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the electronic device.

5. How do I choose the right 24V to 5V power supply solution for my project?

To choose the right 24V to 5V power supply solution for your project, you should consider factors such as the input voltage, output voltage and current requirements, efficiency, size, and cost. It is also important to consult the datasheets and specifications of the power supply components to ensure they are compatible with your project.