Terminal velocity when falling through the atmosphere

In summary, a question is posed about a sky-diver reaching terminal velocity and the possible forces acting on her. The initial answer is thought to be A, but upon further consideration, it is believed to be D due to the decrease in air density at higher altitudes. However, both A and D are ultimately true and the premise of the exercise is that the sky-diver has reached terminal velocity. Any concerns about the validity of this premise are deemed irrelevant to the given question.
JimT
Dear all,

I have been working my way through the Oxford University physics test sample paper http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/admissions/combined-sample.pdf" and I have come across this question:

A sky-diver jumps out of an aeroplane. Which of the following statements is true after she reaches terminal velocity?
A The force of air resistance is the same size as her weight.
B The force of air resistance is larger than her weight.
C The force of air resistance is smaller than her weight.
D She begins to slow down.

Now my initial answer would be A however, after thinking about it would I be correct in believing that the answer would be in fact D as air density decreases with increase in altitude? The net force, if the sky-diver stayed at a constant terminal velocity, would steadily become greater in magnitude (after reaching initial terminal velocity) in the upwards direction as a result of increased air resistance due to an increase in air density. To resolve this net difference, the sky-diver's velocity would decrease thus lowering drag until the net force=0?

Would that be correct? As far as I can see, both A and D are true.

Best wishes,
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is true enough that the density of air changes somewhat with altitude, yet the PREMISE of this exercise is that she HAS reached terminal velocity, which is therefore terminal, i.e, final and CONSTANT.

What has confused you is rather the question "Is the premise justifiable in the first place?"

As it happens, it IS justified, and your uncertainty is misplaced, but far more important is that it is an irrelevant concern to the given question.

Okay, thanks that's super.

What is terminal velocity when falling through the atmosphere?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through the Earth's atmosphere. It is the point at which the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity acting on the object, resulting in a constant velocity.

How is terminal velocity affected by the mass and size of an object?

The mass and size of an object do not affect its terminal velocity. This is because the force of gravity and the force of air resistance depend on different factors. While the force of gravity is determined by an object's mass, the force of air resistance is affected by its shape and surface area.

What factors can affect an object's terminal velocity?

The main factors that can affect an object's terminal velocity are its shape, surface area, and the density of the air through which it is falling. Objects with a larger surface area or a more streamlined shape will experience a greater force of air resistance, slowing down their fall. Additionally, objects falling through denser air, such as at higher altitudes, will reach their terminal velocity at a lower speed.

Can an object reach a terminal velocity of zero?

Technically, yes, an object can reach a terminal velocity of zero if the force of air resistance is greater than the force of gravity acting on it. This is known as "hovering" or "falling with zero velocity." However, this is only possible in situations where the force of air resistance is significantly greater than the force of gravity, such as in a controlled wind tunnel.

What are some real-world applications of understanding terminal velocity?

Understanding terminal velocity is important in fields such as skydiving, aerospace engineering, and meteorology. It can also be used to study the effects of air resistance on different objects and to make predictions about the motion of objects falling through the atmosphere, such as meteorites or debris from space. Additionally, understanding terminal velocity can help improve the safety and design of parachutes and other air resistance devices.