Why does 2*pi*i equal 0 in euler's formula?

• Thread starter tom92373
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, this odd proof says that 2ipi=0. However, the step that went wrong is that the proof used polar form of z=re^{i \theta}, which is not correct.
tom92373
I was playing around with euler's formula the other day and found this odd proof which says 2ipi=0. I know this is obviously wrong, but what was the step that went wrong? The "proof" goes like this:

start with e^(i*pi)+1=0
so -e^(i*pi)=1
multiply both sides by e e(-e^(i*pi))=e
factor a (-1) (-1)(e)(e^(i*pi))=e
add exponents (-1)(e^(i*pi+1))=e
take ln of both sides ln((-1)(e^(i*pi+1)))=1
use properties of logs ln(-1) + ln(e^(i*pi+1))=1
take ln of -1 i*pi + ln(e^(i*pi+1))=1
properties of logs i*pi + (i*pi+1)ln(e)=1
take ln(e) i*pi + i*pi+1=1
subtract 1 i*pi + i*pi=0
combine like terms 2*pi*i=0 ...

this even works in the original formula:
e^(i*2*pi)=cos(2*pi)+isin(2*pi)
e^(i*2*pi)=1
e^(i*2*pi)=e^0
i*2*pi=0 ...

Physics news on Phys.org

Well what's the period of sine and cosine? What's e^(4pi*i)?

in complex analysis, log function is a Multi-valued function,ln(z) = |z| + arg(z), you should choose a single value branch for log, or use Riemann surface

e^(i*2*pi)=e^0
i*2*pi=0

That inference, from line 1 to line 2 is invalid.

In "polar form", [itex]z=re^{i \theta}[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] represents the angle the line from 0 to z makes with the positive real axis. In that sense, yes, [itex]2\pi[/itex] is the same angle as 0. That's why, as arildno suggested, in complex numbers, the exponential function is no longer single valued. f(x)= f(y) implies x= y only if f is single valued.

Ok I get it; so it's because complex exponentials have more than one solution.

HallsofIvy said:
That's why, as arildno suggested, in complex numbers, the exponential function is no longer single valued. f(x)= f(y) implies x= y only if f is single valued.
I think you mean it's not one-to-one! It's the logarithm that's not single-valued. :)

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical equation discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, which states that e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How is Euler's formula related to 2*pi*i = 0?

Euler's formula is related to 2*pi*i = 0 because when x = 2*pi in the equation, e^(2*pi*i) = cos(2*pi) + i*sin(2*pi) = 1 + 0 = 1. This means that 2*pi*i is equal to 0, as the imaginary components cancel each other out.

3. What is the significance of 2*pi*i = 0?

The significance of 2*pi*i = 0 is that it demonstrates the relationship between the fundamental mathematical constants e, pi, and i. It also shows the connection between trigonometric functions and complex numbers.

4. What is the practical application of Euler's formula and 2*pi*i = 0?

Euler's formula and 2*pi*i = 0 have various practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They are used to solve complex mathematical problems and model real-world phenomena.

5. How does Euler's formula relate to the unit circle?

Euler's formula relates to the unit circle by showing that the points on the unit circle can be represented using complex numbers. When x is an angle on the unit circle, e^(ix) gives the coordinates of the corresponding point on the circle, which is cos(x) + i*sin(x).